Dr. Alex
Dr. Alex, Dentist
Experience:  I am a General Dentist and founder of the American School of Dental Assisting
11105469

I have an exposed nerve on a broken back molar. A chunk of

I have an exposed nerve on a broken back molar. A chunk of the molar surface has
broken off (I don't have the piece) and there is a jagged remainder and the nerve
is exposed. I have tried ambesol, advil, advil PM, in addition to trying to cover the
nerve with a tooth paste and trying to keep the side warm with a hot towel. Nothing
is working. I cannot see a dentist tiil tomorrow.

Please help.
XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Alex replied 3 years ago.

DR. ALEX :

Great question, let me help you.

DR. ALEX :

Are you here?

DR. ALEX :

Hello

DR. ALEX :

There are 2 things you can do tonight to take care of this pain

Customer:

Yes, I'm here.

DR. ALEX :

First, you need to go get some clove oil from your local pharmacy and dab it directly on the nerve with a q-tip

DR. ALEX :

this should immediately ease the pain

DR. ALEX :

Secondly, while at the pharmacy, purchase Dentemp temporary dental cement

Customer:

We are in the middle of a snow event and I live on a mountain. I

DR. ALEX :

After applying the clove oil, place the Dentemp over the broken tooth and allow it to harden

DR. ALEX :

Are you in Colorado?

Customer:

think that I have dove soap - can I substitute this for the oil.

Customer:

No, in upstate New York

DR. ALEX :

You can try Dove

DR. ALEX :

Do you have any tea bags?

Customer:

yes, I have tea bags.

DR. ALEX :

Wet a tea bag and place it on the tooth. The tannic acid in the tea acts as an analgesic

DR. ALEX :

Instead of toothpaste on the exposed nerve, place wax on it

DR. ALEX :

This will seal the tooth better

Customer:

Where do I get wax - from a candle>

DR. ALEX :

From a candle or any hobby/craft wax that you may have

DR. ALEX :

Any other questions

Customer:

all my candles are scented with vanilla. Also, I don't have any hobby wax.

DR. ALEX :

scented wax is fine

Customer:

How do I put the wax on the exposed nerve which is the side facing the outside area of the

Customer:

tooth not the tongue side.

DR. ALEX :

Get a large enough piece that it will cover the entire broken area of the tooth and apply it with your finger. Squeeze it into the tooth

DR. ALEX :

Any questions?

Customer:

the wax didn't work. It came out

DR. ALEX :

you can also try chewing gum

DR. ALEX :

much better for sticking

Customer:

Sorry, I don't have chewing gum

DR. ALEX :

you can wet a small piece from a cotton ball and place it in the tooth

DR. ALEX :

this will seal the tooth until you can see a dentist

DR. ALEX :

you may have to replace it if it comes out, but this will be better than leaving it exposed

Customer:

I don't have cotton balls only q-tips.

DR. ALEX :

peel the cotton from the end of the q-tip - this will do the same

Customer:

I tried this and the cotton didn't stay in either.

DR. ALEX :

if nothing stays, then you need to take ibuprofen (800 mg) and this will ease the pain until tomorrow

Customer:

I

Customer:

I've already taken an advil and then an advil pm.

DR. ALEX :

Try the tea bags then, if you're still in pain

DR. ALEX :

These will help

DR. ALEX :

You must let them sit on the tooth for at least 15 min

Customer:

Okay, I'll try this. If the pain doesn't stop, what else can I do to try to get some

Customer:

sleep tonight. I have to drive to the dentist tomorrow and I have to

Customer:

somehow stay alert.

DR. ALEX :

If you have NyQuil, this may be the best

DR. ALEX :

Any other questions?

Customer:

Sorry, I don't have NyQuil.

DR. ALEX :

The pain should subside with the tea bags enough to help you rest

Customer:

Okay. Thank you for your help. Have a good evening

DR. ALEX :

Any other questions?

DR. ALEX :

You're welcome

DR. ALEX :

Please click accept

DR. ALEX :

Thanks

Dr. Alex, Dentist
Experience: I am a General Dentist and founder of the American School of Dental Assisting