Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

My wife had a tooth break off at the gum line. Went to dentist

My wife had a tooth break off at the gum line. Went to dentist he sent us to a specialist to have it cut out. We are waiting for it to heal to get a partial. (this was 2 days ago) This morning she awoke with another broke off on the apposing side. What is going on ? Anything we can do to stop this? She has bladder problem and lung cancer, brain cancer, about 12 years ago. Radiation to the head. the radiation gave her parkinson's like symptions. Hard time walking and slight shaking of the hands, short turm memory is real bad. Told you all of this to try and help with your diagnoses. She is 71
Category: Dental
Expert:  replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, and thank you for putting your trust in me!

Actually, the scenario you describe is not all that uncommon. Typically, when patients avoid chewing on one side of the mouth to avoid a troublesome tooth or a recent oral surgery, the opposite side suffers under the stress of unaccustomed chewing function.

Other issues may also figure into the situation. For example, a history of radiation therapy to the head can often damage the salivary glands, which leads to severe dry mouth. This can result in rampant tooth decay, which may explain the events in your wife's mouth. It may be appropriate for your wife's dentist to implement more aggressive decay prevention measures, such as prescription-strength fluoride preparations, to limit these occurrences in the future.

One more consideration bears note, in light of your wife's previous radiotherapy. If the area of the extracted tooth was anywhere in the path of the radiation beam, the healing of the extraction wound may be complicated. You should be sure to inform the oral surgeon of her prior radiation therapy so that he may provide her with the appropriate post-operative care.

Good luck!
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA