Dr. Alex
Dr. Alex, Dentist
Experience:  I am a General Dentist and founder of the American School of Dental Assisting
11105469

my jaw hurts when i open my mouth wide like to eat a hamburger

my jaw hurts when i open my mouth wide like to eat a hamburger or something of that size. i press on it and can feel where it hurts. it feels like it is in the joint. what can i do to fix this? it also started all of a sudden and it doesnt hurt other than opening my mouth to eat
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Alex replied 3 years ago.

DR. ALEX :

Great question, let me help you.

DR. ALEX :

You are having inflammation in the TMJ, this is causing this pain

DR. ALEX :

It can be from trauma, or grinding/clenching your teeth at night

DR. ALEX :

The treatment is to place a warm compress on the jaw for 15 min three times a day

DR. ALEX :

Additionally, massage the jaw joint during these warm compress sessions

DR. ALEX :

Also, take 600 mg ibuprofen each day for 1 week b/c it is an anti-inflammatory, it will reduce inflammation in the TMJ

DR. ALEX :

Finally, if you feel like you may be grinding/clenching, buy a 'boil and bite' night guard from Wal Mart and begin wearing it at night to eliminate future TMJ issues

DR. ALEX :

Thanks in advance for clicking accept

Customer:

I did not except because I could not see the answer. now that i have read it and it makes sence i will accept

Customer:

thank you

Dr. Alex, Dentist
Experience: I am a General Dentist and founder of the American School of Dental Assisting