Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

I have a lump in my mouth on the inside of my lip. It feels

I have a lump in my mouth on the inside of my lip. It feels like a blister (skin around liquid), but it is not painful at all. Should I be worried and see a dentist asap, or is it something that will go away on its own? Also, I am a smoker if that informations helps!
Category: Dental
Expert:  replied 3 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, and thank you for putting your trust in me!

If the onset of this lump was sudden, and the duration of the swelling is less than a week, it is most likely a mucocele, also known as a mucous retention cyst. This is especially likely if the lump is located on the lower lip, where mucoceles are most apt to occur.

Mucoceles occur as a result of minor injury to the lip, as may occur from an accidental lip bite. The injury can sever the duct of any of the minor mucus glands under the surface of the lip, and causes the secretion to leak out and form a blister-like swelling under the tissue surface. These small cysts tend to rupture and recur, although a certain percentage of them eventually resolve spontaneously.

Although mucoceles are not serious lesions, they can present with some degree of inconvenience, because their prominence may lead to repeated lip biting. If the mucocele persists, it can be treated by an oral surgeon, who can remove the gland that is feeding the cyst; this treatment is curative.

Hope this helps...
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA