Dr. Alex
Dr. Alex, Dentist
Experience:  I am a General Dentist and founder of the American School of Dental Assisting
11105469

I have a hard mass on my uppper gums. Is this anything to

I have a hard mass on my uppper gums. Is this anything to be worried about. I went to my dentist a month ago. He took an x-ray and we saw a dark spot above the gums on it above one tooth on the inside of the gum. He said to see him again about it in three more months when I have my regular cleaning appointment.

DR. ALEX : Great question, let me help you.
DR. ALEX : This bump is an indication of an abcess. The dark spot on the x ray was also an indication of this abcess. You need to have this treated or else it can affect you systemically. The treatment is to be on antibiotics and to have a root canal. There is no need to wait 3 month until your next cleaning for this treatment. I recommend you call your dentist and tell him about the bump and ask him about the root canal treatment and antibiotics in order to resolve it sooner. It is not healthy to let something like this stay in your system for 3 more months. Please click accept. Thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The dentist thought the dark spot on the x-ray was showing that the tooth was dying. Do you agree?
Yes, this is a sign that the tooth is dying. This is why the antibiotics and root canal is needed. The black spot is actually the abcess or infection. Please click accept. Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Why is the tooth dying?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
why is the tooth dying?
Teeth die due to trauma from a crack in the tooth or a deep filling, or from bacteria that invaded the nerve from a cavity or crack. Please Click Acceot. Thanks
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can it have anything to do with the fact that I take Actonel, a biophosphate, once a month for osteoporosis?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can it have anything to do with the fat that I take atonel, a biophosphate, once a month for osteoporos. Is this necrosis of the naw? Isn't it dangerous to have dental surgery if on biophosphates? I have heard that it is.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can it have anything to do with the fact the I take Actonel, a biophosphonate, once a month for osteoporosis? Is this necrosis of the jaw? Isn't i dangergerous to have dental surgery if on biophosphonated. I have heard that it is.
Please click accept, and I am more than happy to continue to answer your questions.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes plese answer my last question
The tooth did not die due to this medication. However, if you have this tooth out, you will have a very difficult time healing due to this med. You need to consult with your doctor before having it removed, if y choose to do this.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What if I just have a root canal?
No effects from the med on root canals