Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

How can one know if ones dentures are dull

How can one know if one's dentures are dull?
Category: Dental
Expert:  replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, and thank you for putting your trust in me!

By dull, I assume you mean that the denture teeth have lost their "sharpness", or have become worn. (Please correct me if I'm wrong in my assumption).

Although porcelain denture teeth do not wear down, acrylic teeth can wear-- especially if they're chewing against natural teeth or porcelain crowns. However, denture tooth wear is seldom the weakest link in a denture, because other factors usually become prominent before tooth wear takes place.

More specifically, the fit between the denture base and the gums degrades, because either the gums change shape over time, or the denture base becomes worn. This reduction in accuracy between the gum and the denture tends to reduce the ability to chew, as the denture loses stability and moves during chewing function.

The best way to assess the condition and fit of a denture would be to have it assessed by a dentist. Some denture wearers mistakenly think that they can forgo regular professional dental care after the natural teeth have been lost, but that is not the case. Continued visits with a dentist are necessary to maintain the function of the dentures, as well as to guard against other diseases that may unknowingly arise in the mouth.

I would therefore advise you to schedule an appointment with a dentist if it has been more than a year since your last dental check-up.

Hope this helps...