Dr. Alex
Dr. Alex, Dentist
Experience:  I am a General Dentist and founder of the American School of Dental Assisting

I have a hard lump on the soft pallate ,on the roof of my mouth.

I have a hard lump on the soft pallate ,on the roof of my mouth. It is the size of a small pea. It was painless at first but as I've pressed it , it has become agitated. What could it be. I have no difficulty with swallowing or general dental health.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Alex replied 5 years ago.

Great question, let me help you.

Are you here?

This lump is one of 2 things. First, it may be an obstructed salivary duct, or mucocele. These are harmless and normal and resolve on their own in 7-10 days typically. If they last longer than this, a dentist can remove them. There is no home treatment to cure them, although rinsing/gargling with warm salt water has been known to help healing. Second, if you are a smoker, this is likely a condition called nicotine stomatitis (NS). NS affects the soft palate by forming bumps and red spots. This goes away when smoking stops. If you are not a smoker, then rinse with warm salt water daily and this bump persists more than 10 days, I suggest you see your dentist b/c it likely is simply be a mucocele that needs removed. The tenderness you feel is likely due to the pressing of your tongue against it repetitively. If you stay away from it with your tongue, this tenderness should go away. Please click accept. Thanks.