Dr. Alex
Dr. Alex, Dentist
Experience:  I am a General Dentist and founder of the American School of Dental Assisting

What can I do to keep gum from sticking to my dentures (aside

What can I do to keep gum from sticking to my dentures (aside from not chewing it)? I only chew nicotine gum. Some 'house-brands' stick more than others. the nicorette brand sticks least, but is very expensive. Also, it doesn't stick everywhere; mostly, directly behind the last molar on the left side.
If I eat something greasy, like peanut butter it takes the gum off. Or I run the denture under cold water and gently scrape with my fingernail.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Alex replied 5 years ago.

Great question, let me help you.

To keep gum from adhering to your dentures, you must apply a small amount of vaseline to the area of the denture where it tends to stick the most (behind the last molar on the left side). This will create a surface that the gum will not adhere to. You can purchase vaseline in small packets that can easily be placed in your pocket, and I suggest you do this so that when you are out and about, you can easily apply the vaseline before chewing your gum. This is the best way to prevent gum from sticking to your denture. Please click accept. Thanks