Dr. Alex
Dr. Alex, Dentist
Experience:  I am a General Dentist and founder of the American School of Dental Assisting
11105469

Is it possible to have infected teeth to cause severe joint pain I have had Parkinso

Is it possible to have infected teeth to cause severe joint pain? I have had Parkinson's for 14 years and gradually lost many of my teeth. Currently I have 12 teeth remaining and they are infected. I had to delay them being pulled do to the cost. Am going to have them out soon. My problem is that I have had increasing pain and sweling esp. in my knees and it is getting worse. Can this be caused by the infected teeth? Will it clear up once the teeth are removed?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Alex replied 3 years ago.

DR. ALEX :

Great question, let me help you.

Customer :

That would be great.

DR. ALEX :

Infection in your mouth definitely effects the body. I would recommend getting on an antibiotic until you are able to have those teeth removed.

Customer :

Will the joint pain and swelling improve after the teeth are pulled?

DR. ALEX :

Its hard to say if the swelling in your knee is actually caused by the tooth infection. However it is important to get the infection under control.

DR. ALEX :

an anti-inflammatory is recommended as well, to reduced swelling. (Motrin)

Customer :

Would my being on several Parkinson's meds been the cause of the tooth decay?

DR. ALEX :

That is very likely. Some medications have the side effect of dry mouth. Good saliva flow is import to your teeth.

DR. ALEX :

Sugar free candies and sugar free gum can help stimulate saliva flow, as well as bitotene products, which can be purchased at Wal-mart or Walgreens.\

DR. ALEX :

Saliva helps break down food, without it you are much more likely to have decay

DR. ALEX :

I hope this has helped. Can I answer any other questions for you?

Customer :

Thank you very much for your time. One other quick question. I see my primary doctor tomorrow. Should I see an ortho Dr?

DR. ALEX :

Im very sorry to hear about your situation. Good luck to you.

DR. ALEX :

Orthodontist?

Customer :

Orthopedic

DR. ALEX :

Sorry, was thinking dental. I'd discuss that with your primary physician tomorrow.

Customer :

Thanks again for your time. You have been helpful. God bless you.

DR. ALEX :

Good luck!!

DR. ALEX :

Anytime you have questions, please feel free to ask.

DR. ALEX :

Please accept my answer, unless I can help you in any other way.

Dr. Alex, Dentist
Experience: I am a General Dentist and founder of the American School of Dental Assisting