Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA

I have got floss stuck between my teeth. I have been to my

I have got floss stuck between my teeth. I have been to my Dentist 3 times and he has told
me that he cannot see anything and that I am imagining it. He is no longer my Dentist. I appreciate that it is difficult to see and the strands of floss are very fine but it does not alter the fact that this is driving me mad as this floss has been stuck for over two years. I have
tried none shredding floss and tied a knot as recommended on various blogs, with no

Category: Dental
Expert:  replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, and thank you for putting your trust in me!

Although unlikely, it is certainly possible that a small piece of impacted floss might escape detection by your dentist-- especially if he is working without optical magnification. I have found that using one of the commercially available Teflon-coated flosses, such as Gore Corporation's Glide Floss, is effective at removing impacted floss, and does not shred or pose the risk of adding to the problem.

In my experience, some patients will perceive a poorly-contoured filling between the teeth, or one that has loosened, as feeling like a piece of loose floss. If this is responsible for your complaint, it would also account for why your dentist failed to detect any loose floss. The treatment for this would be to either have your dentist replace the filling, or finish/polish any flash or irregularities in the marginal area of the filling.

In rare cases, the sensation of loose floss is due to a loose "interdental papilla"-- the triangular peak of gum tissue between the teeth. Although there is nothing that necessarily should be done in this case (in the absence of inflammatory gum disease), most patients are re-assured simply by identifying the source of the sensation.

Hope this helps...

Edited by Mark Bornfeld DDS on 1/25/2011 at 7:26 PM EST