Dr. Cliff
Dr. Cliff, Dentist
Experience:  15 years experience private practice, Member American Orthodontist Society, Mini Implant Certified

How do I cure a gum abscess from home?

Customer Question

How do I cure a gum abscess from home?

Is there any pain relief I can take for abscessed gum and are there any at home treatments for gum abscess?

Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for putting up your question on JustAnswer.

Ideally, you should see a dentist.

However, if you do want to try a home remedy, try rinsing frequently with hot salt water. Prepare this by dissolving ½-teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of water. Do not make it too hot, or your mouth wont be able to tolerate it.The heat from this water will soften the tissue that forms the wall of the swelling, and promote the chances of drainage. If successful, it can cause the abscess to burst, greatly relieving your discomfort.

Good Luck !

Dr. Behere.

Expert:  Dr. Cliff replied 5 years ago.

I will try to give you some additional information on treating a gum abscess at home.

I do agree with Dr. Behere that a trip to the dentist is the best solution, but I have found patients having really good luck using garlic. I know this sounds crazy, but it works.

Here is what to do. My patients have taken a clove of garlic and cut it in half or smaller to fit in the area of the abscess. Basically, once cut, rub the clove of garlic on the gums on both sides of the tooth. Rub on the gums for about 5 minutes on both sides, repeating this about 2-3 times a day.

The clove of garlic will typically relieve the pain and has been known to be as effective as Penicillin.

You can research this online. You can see what other patients are saying about this. I have had several patients do this and it worked.

Hope this will help you.

Best of Luck!

Dr. Cliff