Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA

I have white spots on my tongue, a burning sensation and loss

I have white spots on my tongue, a burning sensation and loss of taste. My throat is starting to feel tighter. Seems like thrush, but can healthy adults that are not immuno-comprimised get thrush?_
Category: Dental
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld, DDS replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, and thank you for putting your trust in me!

Although immunosuppression, either therapeutic (as in treatment for chronic inflammatory conditions or organ/tissue transplant maintenance) or from disease (hematologic, endocrine, or infectious) are the more usual conditions that favor the development of yeast infection, it can occur in otherwise clinically healthy individuals. A common aggravating factor is a disruption in the normal balance of oral micro-organisms, as might happen in diminished salivary gland function or use of broad spectrum antibiotics.

Of course, there are other logical diagnostic considerations that should be considered:
  1. Immuno-suppression is not an all or none condition; there is a continuum that ranges from severe, life-threatening immune incompetence, all the way down to mild immune deficiency that may not manifest in clinical disease until some sign, such as thrush or some other opportunistic infection emerges.
  2. Thrush is only one of a broad range of clinical disorders that may present in the manner in which you describe. In short, your complaint may not be due to thrush.
For these reasons, you should seek professional attention if you are unable to bring your condition under control within two weeks. This will allow your complaint to be more conclusively identified and more aggressively treated.

Good luck!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you Dr. Bornfeld. What are some of the other clinical disorders that may present in this manner? My throat is now sore and it feels like when I have had strep before. I cannot taste sweet or salty things at all. So its like my tastebuds are completely numb. I should have mentioned that initial onset was 5 days ago with a couple of whitish bumps. When I scrape them off, they bleed and the bumps are just red. They seem to have gone down for a day or two and now a few are reappearing. Now my throat is beginning to feel very sore.

If this is thrush, it would seem that the yogurt, acidopholis, coconut oil, etc. would have made an impact right?

Expert:  replied 5 years ago.
Your description of the bumps as being easily scraped off and bleeding is consistent with thrush. However, there are a wide variety of different ulcerative or vesicular disorders that could present in the same way-- anything from bacterial or chlamydial STD's, to drug reactions such as erythema multiforme, to auto-immune disorders like lichen planus or pemphigoid. A formal diagnosis should be able to distinguish these disorders and identify the culprit.

Although home remedies are sometimes helpful in reducing the incidence of thrush for those who are prone to it, they are generally ineffective once the infection has established itself. In fact, the yeast the causes thrush has become increasingly resistant to prescription strength anti-mycotic drugs such as Nystatin and clotrimazole. The most important principle in treating thrush is to manage any underlying issues that may be contributing to the problem. To that end, a thorough physical exam is a good idea, especially if it has been more than a year since your last.

Hope this helps...