Dr. Alex
Dr. Alex, Dentist
Experience:  I am a General Dentist and founder of the American School of Dental Assisting

I have a red bump on my upper gum at the gum line above the

I have a red bump on my upper gum at the gum line above the cuspid. It is not painful at all. Not even the size of a pea. Has been there a while. What could it be.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Alex replied 5 years ago.
Great question, let me help you. This may be a dental abcess. dental abcesses are not always painful, and sometimes they are from the tooth, while other times they are from the gums. If they are tooth related, you will need a root.canal to remove the infection. If it is gum related, you will need a thorough cleaning and a prescription rinse called peridex. Either way, you should he on antibiotics to control the infection. See a dentist next week for x rays to determine if it is gum or tooth related. In the meantime, clean the area well, rinse with warm salt water, and be sure to floss. Please accept my answer.