Jasleen Bagga
Jasleen Bagga, Dentist
Experience:  B.D.S with 4 years of experience
17394144

I had a toothache that made the side of my face swell up.

I had a toothache that made the side of my face swell up. Pain is gone, but swelling is still there. I am thinking to wait it out for a day or two and see if it gets better. Does it sound like I need antibiotics?

My thinking is it is triggered to sinus or possibly an abcess tooth. Either way, my preference would be to wait it out as I am moving and do not have time to visit dentist.

If you say I need antibiotics, does it sound like things will get worse if I wait a few days (since i have no pain)?

thanks
Category: Dental
Expert:  Jasleen Bagga replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for using ' Just Answer ' and i would be glad to assist you.

I am sorry to hear regarding the trouble. I would advise you to consult a dentist ASAP. If you have your dentist's emergency number, call right now and arrange an appointment on emergency basis. It is really urgent as the swelling is the infection spreading in your mouth.You need immediate care for this kind of conditions such as tooth abscess and you should not go wait longer for dental appointment.You would need antibiotics and a root canal/extraction. A proper oral examination and radiographic evidence is prudent in your case. This infection could spread throughout your body, so arrange an appointment at the earliest. If the pain is still there, you could take Advil or Motrin. You could go in for warm saline few times in a day.This would reduce the swelling and help with the infection.

I wish you a speedy recovery!!

Any Further Questions, Revert and i would be glad to Answer.

Bonuses would be Appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is there anything else that could cause the swelling? Are there scenerios where I do not need antibiotics or a root canal?
Thanks for your response!!

Dental infections could come as a result of a variety of different things.Deep tooth decay, a traumatic blow to the tooth and a periodontal (gum) disease are the most common reasons of oral infection.Antibiotic therapy would be be there as an adjunct to control the infection.You could make an emergency appointment with your dentist. Till that time, continue using warm saline rinses few times in a day. You could take Amoxicillin 500 mg thrice daily for 5 days. Do not take this medication, if you are allergic to Penicillin.In that case, you could take Clindamycin 150 - 300 mg thrice daily for 5 days.In the meanwhile, keep an eye on the severity of your infection. If the condition worsens, or if you develop symptoms of fever, malaise or prostration, kindly visit E.R.

Bonuses would be Appreciated.

Jasleen Bagga, Dentist
Experience: B.D.S with 4 years of experience