Jasleen Bagga
Jasleen Bagga, Dentist
Experience:  B.D.S with 4 years of experience
17394144

My dentist says I have a cyst under my tooth #32 and it needs

My dentist says I have a cyst under my tooth #32 and it needs removed. He also said the x-rays show dark areas around tooth #1 and it needs removed also. Tooth #32 had a deep cavity that was filled a couple of years ago which is where the cyst is. Other than this I have never had one single dental problem ever. Thank you for any help yu can give me. I don't want to loose my teeth if I have an alternative.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Jasleen Bagga replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for using ' Just Answer ' and i would be glad to assist you.

Your dentist may be correct in his treatment plans. Very little chewing is done so far back in the mouth. Moreover, wisdom teeth usually have short roots which make them a poor candidate for fixed prosthesis. Another reason of concern is poor prognosis associated with root canal treatment. The internal anatomy of wisdom teeth is quite difficult ( presence of torturous and calcified canal ), so successful treatment of the teeth through rct is not assured.I personally don't advocate devoting, effort and money in saving wisdom teeth unless it plays an important functional role in mouth. Thus, the best option is usually ( not always ) to get the wisdom teeth extracted.

If you wish to save it, rct could be done. However, the overall success rate of rct is quite minimal ( in case of wisdom teeth). If you wish to get it saved, you could consult an Endodontist ( specialist in root canal therapy ).

Any Further Questions, Revert and i would be glad to Answer.

Bonuses would be Appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So for tooth 32 not the wisdom tooth removal or root canel are only solutions?
Thanks for your response!!

Tooth 1 and 32 are wisdom teeth ( or 3rd molars ) as per universal numbering system and this is what is adopted by ADA ( American Association of Dental Association ) and most of the dentists in the world.

Unfortunately, either extraction or rct are the only options. I would usually advise extraction than rct as the chances of failure are high ( due to it's internal anatomy and age factor ).However, if you still wanted to save, you could consult an Endodontist as they are specialist in dealing with rct. They would be able to manage your case in a better way than a general dentist.

Bonuses would be Appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am terribly sorry but it is tooth #2 upper right that I would like to save. Any other options now?
Thanks for your response!!

As you mentioned tooth #2, it makes a lot of difference. As a dentist, i always prefer if at all possible, to save the tooth. There are many times when extraction is a better and possible more conservative than trying to heroically save a tooth. There are many factors to be considered before going for rct and usually rct have a good success rate in these teeth ( as compared to wisdom teeth ). No doubt, rct is the only way to salvage the tooth, however it could be more successfully done on tooth #2 as compared to wisdom teeth. Consider a second opinion or speak to an endodontist and he might be able to save your tooth. I agree that there are so many options like implants, however there is nothing better than our own teeth.

Bonuses would be Appreciated.

Jasleen Bagga, Dentist
Experience: B.D.S with 4 years of experience