Dr. Alex
Dr. Alex, Dentist
Experience:  I am a General Dentist and founder of the American School of Dental Assisting

I have a potrusion coming through my gum that fels like bone.

I have a sensitive spot on my gums next to my rear, bottom molar. It is hard and feels like bone. When I scrape it, it seems to get soft and then gets hard again. Over several weeks it has appeared on different sides of my rear tooth on the gums. I use an Oral B Toothbrush. Is it possible I have worn the gum down exposing the jawbone? Could it be a bone spur?

Great question, let me help you.

If you have had a tooth extracted by this molar, then yes, it sounds like it may be a bone spur. Bone spurs come to the surface of the gums and are painful. They can submerge for a while, then come back to the surface as they try to work themselves out. They may eventually come out on their own, but it would be wise to consider having a dentist remove them b/c this is normally a quick procedure and you are out of pain afterwards. Bone spurs are not uncommon when you have a history of a tooth extraction. Please accept my answer. Thank you.