Jasleen Bagga
Jasleen Bagga, Dentist
Experience:  B.D.S with 4 years of experience
17394144

I am about to have a tooth extracted. My blood pressure was

I am about to have a tooth extracted. My blood pressure was very high in a previous appointment causing the extraction to be delayed. At what point is blood pressure deemed ok to proceed with the extraction? I have gotten the pressure under control but seem to have a somewhat elevated pressure when at a doctor's office. My oral surgeon has prescribed 10mg. valium 1 hour prior to the extraction. Need to know what type of pressure would allow the extraction to proceed. Thanks, John.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Jasleen Bagga replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for using ' Just Answer ' and i would be glad to assist you.

A safe blood pressure is approximately 120/80.If the blood pressure is above this, there is an increase chances of bleeding after the extraction.One more thing to be considered by the dentist is to use a local anesthetic such as novocaine without epinephrine.Epinephrine in the local anesthetic helps to prevent bleeding, however it could cause significant elevation of blood pressure.

Any Further Questions, Revert and i would be glad to Answer.

Bonuses would be Appreciated.

One more detail that i would like to share that ' It is not indicated to extract tooth if the diastolic blood pressure is ( the second number ) is more than 100 '.It has to be less than 100 for extractions.

Bonuses would be Appreciated.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I know for a fact that oral surgeons will extract a tooth with > 120/80. You are obviously just trying to protect yourself and not giving me an honest opinion.

I wanted to know the limits. You obviously don't understand or are not willing to express your thoughts. Will an oral surgeon proceed with a tooth extraction if the blood pressure is 135/85? I'm sure you are not willing to answer....

If your answer is what it is, then I would have to assume that oral surgeons will not proceed with a tooth extraction if the blood pressure is > 120/80. I don't think that is the answer to my question.

Oh well, last time I visit this site!

Thanks for your response!!

135/85 comes under high normal. Your oral surgeon could still proceed with this BP for extractions with utmost care. This is still OK for extractions.

Bonuses would be Appreciated.

Jasleen Bagga, Dentist
Experience: B.D.S with 4 years of experience