Jasleen Bagga
Jasleen Bagga, Dentist
Experience:  B.D.S with 4 years of experience
17394144

I am about to have a tooth extracted. My blood pressure was

I am about to have a tooth extracted. My blood pressure was very high in a previous appointment causing the extraction to be delayed. At what point is blood pressure deemed ok to proceed with the extraction? I have gotten the pressure under control but seem to have a somewhat elevated pressure when at a doctor's office. My oral surgeon has prescribed 10mg. valium 1 hour prior to the extraction. Need to know what type of pressure would allow the extraction to proceed. Thanks, John.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Jasleen Bagga replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for using ' Just Answer ' and i would be glad to assist you.

A safe blood pressure is approximately 120/80.If the blood pressure is above this, there is an increase chances of bleeding after the extraction.One more thing to be considered by the dentist is to use a local anesthetic such as novocaine without epinephrine.Epinephrine in the local anesthetic helps to prevent bleeding, however it could cause significant elevation of blood pressure.

Any Further Questions, Revert and i would be glad to Answer.

Bonuses would be Appreciated.

One more detail that i would like to share that ' It is not indicated to extract tooth if the diastolic blood pressure is ( the second number ) is more than 100 '.It has to be less than 100 for extractions.

Bonuses would be Appreciated.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I know for a fact that oral surgeons will extract a tooth with > 120/80. You are obviously just trying to protect yourself and not giving me an honest opinion.

I wanted to know the limits. You obviously don't understand or are not willing to express your thoughts. Will an oral surgeon proceed with a tooth extraction if the blood pressure is 135/85? I'm sure you are not willing to answer....

If your answer is what it is, then I would have to assume that oral surgeons will not proceed with a tooth extraction if the blood pressure is > 120/80. I don't think that is the answer to my question.

Oh well, last time I visit this site!

Thanks for your response!!

135/85 comes under high normal. Your oral surgeon could still proceed with this BP for extractions with utmost care. This is still OK for extractions.

Bonuses would be Appreciated.