Dr. Cliff
Dr. Cliff, Dentist
Experience:  15 years experience private practice, Member American Orthodontist Society, Mini Implant Certified
29738074

Can a crown that has cracked be glued to fix or does it have

Can a crown that has cracked be glued to fix or does it have to be replaced? I don't have insurance right now and need my crown fixed.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Cliff replied 3 years ago.

Dr. Cliff :

Thanks for using JustAnswer. Hello, Dr. Cliff here. Are you available?

Dr. Cliff :

The ideal thing to do is to get the crown fixed. Usually the only way to do that is to have it replaced, but if the crown will fit back on the tooth and the bite feels right, it is ok to recement it until you are able to get it fixed.

Dr. Cliff :

Most crowns have an underlying metal that covers the tooth, so recementing it will seal the tooth up. You can either get your dentist to recement the crown , or there is a product called DenTemp available at most pharmacies. You can glue your crown back on with that product and it will be OK until you get to the dentist. It is still important to get a check up and xray of the tooth to make sure there is no infection present.

Dr. Cliff :

I would be glad to respond if needed.

Dr. Cliff :

Best of Luck! Dr. Cliff

Customer :

i don't see your reply

Dr. Cliff, Dentist
Experience: 15 years experience private practice, Member American Orthodontist Society, Mini Implant Certified
Expert:  Dr. Cliff replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Cliff replied 3 years ago.

Sorry you did not get my reply...I will retype it and hopefully you will get it. The best thing to do of course is to get the crown fix. The only way to do this is to get it replaced. If you can get the crown back on and the bite is right, you may be able to just get it recemented. As long as it is sealed all the way, this will be fine until you can get it fixed. Most crowns have an underlying metal that covers the tooth, so recementing the crown will seal the tooth. Your dentist can recement it, or there is a product called Dentemp available at pharmacies that you can get to recement yourself until you can get to your dentist. It is still important to get an xray and check up to make sure there is no infection present. Sometimes there can be infection present and your tooth not hurt.

I would be glad to respond if necessary. Dr. Cliff