Dr. Cliff
Dr. Cliff, Dentist
Experience:  15 years experience private practice, Member American Orthodontist Society, Mini Implant Certified
29738074

what is excessive calcium build-up in the mouth and how do

what is excessive calcium build-up in the mouth and how do you treat it? At the bottom of my mouth I have what looks like an extra set of teeth under the gum /skin.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Cliff :

Thanks for using JustAnswer. Hello, Dr. Cliff here. Are you available?

Dr. Cliff :

I will start my response in hopes you will join me.

Dr. Cliff :

Buildup starts as food debris starts collecting on your teeth. This is normal activity. When we brush the debris is removed, but no matter how good we brush, there is always a little bit left. This little bit then over time starts to harden on the teeth and then can only be removed by getting your teeth cleaned by the dentist.

Dr. Cliff :

As more plaque builds up, the deeper it goes down below the gums. This is why it appears that you have an extra set of teeth present.

Dr. Cliff :

It will get bigger and bigger as it builds up.

Dr. Cliff :

If this build up is not removed, it will cause you to have serious gum problems, which then will affect the bone holding your teeth. You will then develop gum disease and you could eventually lose your teeth.

Dr. Cliff :

So it is very important that you get to your dentist so this buildup can be removed. This is the only way you can get your gums and supporting structures to remain healthy. Once the build up is removed, your gums will tighten back up around your teeth..

Dr. Cliff :

This depends, of course, on how severe your case is. Your dentist will let you know at your visit, when a clinical exam is done.

Dr. Cliff :

Best of Luck! Dr. Cliff

Customer :

I have had that procedure done before. The dentist cleaned my gums all along the my teeth. They had to freeze my mouth because it was a bit painful. I am actually talking about the base of my mouth under my tongue. on both sides I have what looks like cartilage covered by skin and it juts out like teeth. I thought for a long time it was just section of my mouth, but I noticed that it has grown. it is as hard as bone.

Full Size Image

Dr. Cliff :

Thanks for your reply. Sorry I misunderstood where you were referring to.

Dr. Cliff :

The area you are referring to is extra bone called mandibular tori. It is bone that grows on both sides under the tongue. Typically this does not cause a problem unless you have to get dentures...then this growth would have to be surgically removed. The other reason to have it removed is if the tissue is constantly being irritated or cut from eating. Removing them would be the only way to relieve the discomfort.

Dr. Cliff :

Your photo did not come through. Try using www.mediafire.com ...you can post it there and then paste the link to your photo to me. I would be glad to look at it for you. Dr. Cliff

Dr. Cliff :

I found a photo of what I am referring to ...http://img.tfd.com/mosby/thumbs/500221-fx19.jpg...you can compare this to what you have. Your tori may be smaller or larger...it varies in size....hopes this helps...Dr. Cliff