Jasleen Bagga
Jasleen Bagga, Dentist
Experience:  B.D.S with 4 years of experience
17394144

I have a tooth that gives me sharp pain when is touched by

I have a tooth that gives me sharp pain when is touched by tongue. It is not a constant pain and some times when tongue goes over tooth get no reaction. But then sometimes I get that sharp quick pain and my heart raises and I get really warm for a bit until the pain is gone. What is best option for now to fix the problem? It is over a tooth that has been decayed for awhile. Also haven't been to dentist since was a young kid.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Jasleen Bagga replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for using ' Just Answer ' and i would be glad to assist you.

The symptoms you mentioned are highly suggestive of irreversible pulpitis ( inflammation of the pulp ), which is caused due to spread of caries or the decay to the pulp tissue of the tooth ( pulp tissue contains the nerve of the tooth ).Popping of painkillers or antibiotics would only provide short temporary relief.This is an early stage of irreversible pulpitis where the pain may be caused by certain stimulus such as certain temperature change particularly cold food, sweet or acid food stuff or pressure from packing of the food into the cavity.In you case, it is due to suction exerted by the tongue or cheek. This results in congestion of blood vessels in the pulp.The pain often continues and it may come and go spontaneously without apparent cause.The pain may be sharp, piercing or shooting and is generally severe.During later stages, the pain may be boring, gnawing or throbbing.

Clinical inspection is must before coming to any diagnosis. It usually discloses a deep cavity extending to the pulp. Radiographic evidence is also of utmost importance as many times it may disclose the decay inter proximally between 2 teeth.

RCT ( root canal treatment ) is the only option to save the tooth. Root canal involves the removal of infected pulp tissue, cleaning and restoration of the root canals. I would advise you to fix an appointment with a dentist at the earliest.

For the time being, you could continue using warm saline rinses. You could use anti microbial mouth rinses such as chlorhexidine ( 0.12% ) twice daily for few days. Keep optimum oral hygiene.

Any Further Questions, Revert and i would be glad to Answer.

Kindly Accept the Solution,if 100% Satisfied from my response.

Bonuses would be Appreciated.
Jasleen Bagga, Dentist
Experience: B.D.S with 4 years of experience
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Should it be a big worry that when I get that sharp pain that I get really warm and my heart beats really fast untill the pain is gone? Or is that just another symptom of hitting the nerve so it makes that reaction.
Thanks for your response!!

Pain might be a factor in your case.However, if you experience fast or irregular heart beat even while there is no tooth pain, it is advisable to seek a physician at the earliest.

Note - One of the SEVERE side effects of Advil is fast and irregular heartbeat.

Bonuses would be Appreciated.