Dr. Alex
Dr. Alex, Dentist
Experience:  I am a General Dentist and founder of the American School of Dental Assisting

Swollen soft palate in the mouth

Customer Question

I have had a swelling in the roof of my mouth it is my soft palate. It is just a swollen bump on the right side. I believe it is called the Hamulus. This has been going on for several weeks. It is painful but the severity of the pain comes and goes. Most times it is just very uncomfortable. What is this? And what can be done to treat it?

Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Alex replied 6 years ago.

The Hamulus is actually a bone underneath the soft tissue. It is less likely that this is causing the swelling, and more likely that it’s tonsil in nature. Even if you have had your tonsils out in life, they can come back. When infected, they will swell up in the throat/soft palate region, sometimes on just one side, like you describe. Antibiotics are not typically enough to control the swelling, and most often they must be removed. I suggest you have an ENT evaluate you for a possible tonsillectomy (removal of the tonsil), if this is, in fact, the source of your problem.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The doc who gave me meds for sinus pain said my tonsils have shrunk up (with age I think) so this is not a tonsil. It is right up in the roof of my mouth not back in my throat/ soft palate

Expert:  Dr. Alex replied 6 years ago.

If it is not tonsillitis, then it is a sinus infection. The Augmentin helps, but the swelling may take some time to go down. If you are finished with your initial regimen of Augmentin, I suggest you ask your doctor if you could have another dose since your swelling hasn't gone down yet. Sometimes these infections can be aggressive, and it takes more than one dose of antibiotics, or even another type of antibiotic. Your doctor should be able to prescribe the appropriate second dose to allow you to heal.