Dr. Alex
Dr. Alex, Dentist
Experience:  I am a General Dentist and founder of the American School of Dental Assisting
11105469

White tongue, mostly at the back. Sore throat only on 1 side,

White tongue, mostly at the back. Sore throat only on 1 side, and jaw pain on the other side of the face. White tongue about 2 days ago, sore throat for 2 weeks, and jaw pain 2 days as well
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Alex replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
DR. ALEX :

Great question, let me help you.

DR. ALEX :

are you here?

Customer :

I am....actualljust finished gurgling <sp> and tongue doesn't seem as white at the moment.

Customer :

tongue still does feel sore however, and the jaw pain really only when I eat

Customer :

right side of throat still sore

DR. ALEX :

do you grind your teeth at night?

DR. ALEX :

the white tongue sounds like you may have a case of candidiasis

DR. ALEX :

this is a fungal overgrowth on the tongue

Customer :

i do once in awhile and I definately feel that in the AM, isn't the same pain though

Customer :

what causes it

DR. ALEX :

depressed immune system

Customer :

and how does that affect my throat on 1 side only

DR. ALEX :

so if you have any system conditions (diabetes, etc) this can lead to candidiasis

DR. ALEX :

Candidiasis is treated with antifungal medication, like Nystatin. You can have your dentist prescribe this

Customer :

that would make sense. No diabetes or medecine taken here, just vitamins and extra B12

Customer :

will salt water just take care of it as well and the throat

Customer :

it came so quick

DR. ALEX :

Candidiasis can cause sore throat as well, if it spreads to the esophagus

DR. ALEX :

it's best to take an antifungal, like Nystatin

DR. ALEX :

warm salt water will not kill the fungus

Customer :

hummmm, i've had the sore throat longer than the white tongue, which isn't so white at the moment

Customer :

is it a spray or gargle ?

DR. ALEX :

Spray

Customer :

since dentist is out for 3 weeks, would a medi-pharmacy be able to help ? never mind I can call for that. Low immune system, really ?

DR. ALEX :

Yes, immune compromised is one of the leading causes of Candidiasis

DR. ALEX :

Are you a smoker?

Customer :

no, i'm not. It was abusy weekend celebrating however. Drinking

DR. ALEX :

Here is a site where you can see causes of Oral Thrush (Candidiasis)

DR. ALEX :

Any other questions?

Customer :

what about the Pharynitis <sp> since my voice is differnt right now.

DR. ALEX :

Likely related to candidiasis in the esophagus region

DR. ALEX :

should clear up after treatment

Customer :

Great ! thanks so much....very helpful. Enjoy your day!

DR. ALEX :

You too. Good luck!

Dr. Alex, Dentist
Experience: I am a General Dentist and founder of the American School of Dental Assisting