Dr. Cliff
Dr. Cliff, Dentist
Experience:  15 years experience private practice, Member American Orthodontist Society, Mini Implant Certified
29738074

I have what looks like irritation under my tongue. They look

I have what looks like irritation under my tongue. They look like fever blisters, but there are many small one directly under my tongue. Not on the tongue itself but the base of my mouth. Any ideas???
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Cliff :

Thanks for using JustAnswer. Hello Dr.Cliff here. Are you available?

Customer :

hello

Dr. Cliff :

There are many different lesions that appear in the mouth. I am thinking trauma to the tongue could have caused these ulcers. Trying to rule out thrush and other leukcoplakias. Is there any way you can send me a picture through www.mediafire.com.

Dr. Cliff :

Sorry so late...

Customer :

i could only describe it to you

Dr. Cliff :

Can the white spots be scraped off?

Customer :

no it seems to be puss

Customer :

but there are a few and i have used listerine and crest mouthwash and now today started using homeremedy hot water and salt

Dr. Cliff :

Are they spread out on the floor of the mouth on both sides? or are they concentrated in one area?

Customer :

mainly just under my tongue. i have noticed that i now have two forming on the bottom of my tongue

Customer :

i guess if you were to look at it. the area that would separate my tongue. a ligament i guess is where it is concentrated

Dr. Cliff :

Some personal questions...are you sexually active?

Customer :

yes

Dr. Cliff :

Oral sex recently?

Customer :

no just kissing

Customer :

haven't ventured there yet

Dr. Cliff :

Sorry, trying to rule out some possibilities. That is one of them.

Customer :

no no thats fine. i was hoping that would be ruled out first anyway

Dr. Cliff :

Have you noticed them anywhere else in your mouth or only on floor of mouth

Customer :

just the floor. concentrated in the one spot

Dr. Cliff :

You mentioned "pus". Does it look like they are draining? Do they hurt?

Customer :

they don't hurt per say, but at times they do. it seems to be moving up my tongue to i can see what looks like veins as to where the new "blisters" formed

Customer :

it has only been a week, but still would like to know

Dr. Cliff :

You have me stumped right now....there are several types of ulcers I am thinking of, but all are not concentrated just in the area you are talking about. Give me a little time on this. I will check my pathology books in the morning at my office and see what I can find. I will follow up with you when I get to my books....sorry for the delay, but I need to do a little research.

Dr. Cliff :

Are you in school? Stressed? What is your race and nationality?

Customer :

I have a camera now and will see if i can figure it out and send you some pics

Customer :

yes, no, hispanic

Dr. Cliff :

If you can get a picture of it...you can go to www.mediafire.com post it on there. once posted open the picture up. You will see a URL box with the link of your photo. Use your right mouse button and copy the link. Then come back to this page and in a reply to me click the right button again and paste the link....I would then be able to see the photo. Give a try and I will chat with you tomorrow.

Customer :

thanks i will try

Customer :

http://www.mediafire.com/i/?x2g4rb74kdm45db

Customer :

http://www.mediafire.com/i/?i3l4nzp707jixnc

Dr. Cliff :

Hello

Customer :

this is today's pics

Customer :

http://www.mediafire.com/i/?1qwq6c0ak9cs6s3

Customer :

http://www.mediafire.com/i/?oaftjabcn3dx220

Customer :

i will be off and on so tell me what you think

Dr. Cliff :

Hello, just checked this...I responded to you this morning, but see it did not go through to you.

Dr. Cliff :

The pictures you took were awesome. I believe what you are dealing with are "Apthous Ulcers" . This is what the pictures look like to me. The etiology of the ulcers are not quite certain. So hard to say what caused these to erupt. Some suggestions have been they come from stress, vitamn deficiency, herpectic virus, and autoimmune. There are several ways to treat them. Antibiotics and anti inflammatory medicines. I always keep medicine in my office for this medicine. I like to give my patients for Kenalog in Orbase. It is a paste that you can rub over the ulcers. It numbs them up for several hours and helps speed the recovery. Unfortunaely you can't get this stuff over the counter, you will have to have a prescription for it. You can apply the paste 3-4 times a day. I included .http://www.aafp.org/afp/20000701/149.html a link for you.. It is an apthous ulcers. I will provided you with a ton of options and treatment Best of Luck..

Customer :

I was actually able to see my dentist in short time and he prescribed me APHTHASOL. Would this stuff do the trick? Also an important question, are they (the ulcers) contagious? Or can I live life as normal?

Dr. Cliff :

Hello again, glad you were able to get it checked by your dentist.

Dr. Cliff :

Yes, the medicine he prescribed is used to treat canker sores. This will work fine.

Dr. Cliff :

It is a paste that can be be applied over the ulcers to help clearing the up.

Customer :

contagious?

Dr. Cliff :

As far as being contagious, aphthous ulcer causes are unknown, but not contagious. Once they clear up and go away, they may reappear again. Unfortunately this is something that you may have to deal with for a while. You never know when they reappear since we don't really know what is the main cause. You have nothing to worry about though as far as passing them on to someone else.

Customer :

great news!!

Customer :

thanks Dr. Cliff, you have been a big help

Dr. Cliff :

Glad your dentist thought they were ulcers also.

Customer :

haha me to

Customer :

oh one more thing

Dr. Cliff :

Best of Luck!

Dr. Cliff :

Sure..

Customer :

right around were the ulcers are i try to apply the paste but it is rather difficult do to my saliva that accumluates

Customer :

how should the past look when applied

Dr. Cliff :

There is a saliva duct on that muscle on the floor of the mouth. You may need to get a q-tip and try to dry the ulcer off, then try to get the paste to stick. When everything is wet it is hard to get that paste to stay....so try to dry each ulcer before applying it and see if that helps...it can be aggrevating

Customer :

so i have experienced already... thanks again

Dr. Cliff :

yes, the paste can make a mess and taste like crap also...