Dr. Alex
Dr. Alex, Dentist
Experience:  I am a General Dentist and founder of the American School of Dental Assisting
11105469

Why are my teeth turning brown

Customer Question

Why are my teeth turning brown?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Alex replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
DR. ALEX :

Great question, let me help you.

Expert:  Dr. Alex replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
Expert:  Dr. Alex replied 6 years ago.
Teeth will turn brown due to a few factors. #1 reason is due to diet. Coffee, tea, wine, and even soda can turn teeth a yellow/brown tone. Even with vigorous brushing, the stain may not go away. The best way to remove this stain is to use a bleaching agent. Some toothpastes advertise to be "whitening" and they will work, but it takes several months to see an effect. What I recommend is that you use a stronger bleaching agent that you can get at your dentist, or over the counter at places like Wal Mart. Crest White Strips you can get over the counter at Wal Mart, and you apply them to your teeth on a daily basis. They are impregnated with bleach that will remove the stain within a month. If you want an even quicker result, then go to your dentist and ask for whitening trays. The bleach that a dentist dispenses is stronger than the over the counter brands. Your will get a set of custom made trays that you wear for an hour a day that you inject with bleach. You should see results with these in 2 weeks or less. Finally, you can do a 1 hour whitening called ZOOM at some dentists that will give you results in an hour. The quicker the technique, the more expensive it becomes. ZOOM runs about $500, whitening trays are $300, Crest White Strips are $20-30, and toothpaste is $4. Just depends on how fast you want results!
Expert:  Dr. Alex replied 6 years ago.
A more unlikely cause of brown teeth is that you were born with them discolored (a result of your mother taking medication like tetracycline while pregnant), or that they have been traumatized and are now dying. f this is the case, you will require a root canal and a porcelain veneer to improve the appearance of your tooth's discoloration. If you have no history of trauma or were not born with dark teeth, then it is likely the diet issue that I addressed in the previous post. Good luck, and I hope you can achieve white teeth again! If you have any other questions, let me know...
Expert:  Dr. Alex replied 6 years ago.
Please review this website (from the American Dental Assoc) for help understanding how to whiten your teeth. http://www.ada.org/sections/about/pdfs/HOD_whitening_rpt.pdf