Dr. Alex
Dr. Alex, Dentist
Experience:  I am a General Dentist and founder of the American School of Dental Assisting
11105469

my two year old daughter is complaining of her teeth hurting,

my two year old daughter is complaining of her teeth hurting, more so when she eats something (even as soft as lightly toasted bread) and pointing to the top two front teeth (although it's a little difficult to get an accurate position). We have just cleaned her teeth and had a good look at her teeth using a little led torch but can't find anything obvious. I am about to give her some calprophen (ibuprophen suspension) to try and ease the pain but was wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to the cause of this pain and if there is anything else we can do to help her
Chat Conversation Started
DR. ALEX :

Great question, let me help you.

Customer :

hello

DR. ALEX :

Can you visualize the flap of skin between her lip and her front teeth?

Customer :

yes i can

DR. ALEX :

This is called the frenum

DR. ALEX :

does it appear tight?

Customer :

ok

DR. ALEX :

if this is tight, then she may have an issue with her frenum putting pressure on the gum tissue surrounding her front teeth

DR. ALEX :

This is not uncommon, and many children will need this frenum clipped, called a frenectomy

DR. ALEX :

it is repositioning the frenum lower on her inner lip to relieve pressure on her gums

DR. ALEX :

this also helps with her teeth eruption

Customer :

it could be a little tight...its very difficult to get her to open her mouth when you need her to

Customer :

i think i've heard of that before somewhere

DR. ALEX :

I understand

DR. ALEX :

Martin, let me take a bit of time and write you some more info, but in the Q & A format

DR. ALEX :

I will enter this in a minute, is that OK?

Customer :

we just manage to get a good look and it doesn't appear too tight at all

DR. ALEX :

do you have any other info for me before I do this?

Customer :

yes that's fine

DR. ALEX :

any trauma?

DR. ALEX :

discoloration?

DR. ALEX :

bleeding?

DR. ALEX :

thumb sucking?

Customer :

nothing that we can think of.... other than she was sick the night before last and then said her teeth hurt....but she stopped complaining about them

DR. ALEX :

how long has this been going on?

Customer :

she tends to suck all four fingers if she can get away with it

DR. ALEX :

:)

Customer :

no bleeding and no discolouration

DR. ALEX :

how long has the pain been there?

Customer :

sucking her finger/s for about four months but tends to be only when she is tired and hasn't got a dummy....which she only has at bed time

Customer :

the pain started the night before last after she had been sick

DR. ALEX :

OK, Let me write you a detailed response in a bit. Thank you.

Customer :

but no complaints yesterday

Customer :

not sure about today because she was at nursery but they didn't mention anything about her complaining

Customer :

thank you very much

Most likely it is either related to her sickness or is from trauma. If trauma, it could be that she bumped her teeth, or ate something hot that burned the roof of her mouth, behind these teeth. Either way, pain will last for a.few days and resolve. If it is her. sickness, then it could be.transient or sinus related. Again, either way it will resolve on its own in a few days. If she continues to complain after 3-4days, visit a child dentist for evaluation.