Dr.Sehr
Dr.Sehr,

can your fractured jaw get better without it been wired shut

Customer Question

can your fractured jaw get better without it been wired shut and how long does it take?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr.Sehr replied 3 years ago.
Hi,Welcome to justanswer,
Dear customer,

The specific treatment for a fractured jaw depends on how badly the bone is broken. If you have a minor fracture, you may only need pain medicines and to follow a soft or liquid diet for a while.

Temporarily bandaging the jaw (around the top of the head) to prevent it from moving may help reduce pain.

Surgery is often needed for moderate to severe fractures. The jaw may be wired to the teeth of the opposite jaw to improve stability. Jaw wires are usually left in place for 6 - 8 weeks. Small rubber bands (elastics) are used to hold the teeth together. After a few weeks, some of the elastics are removed to allow motion and reduce joint stiffness.

After dislocating your jaw, you should not open your mouth widely for at least 6 weeks as it take 6 to 8 weeks to heal if bones are at proper balance. Support your jaw with one or both hands when yawning and sneezing.

Regards

Best wishes

Dr.Sehr,
Experience: 
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld, DDS replied 3 years ago.

Dear JACUSTOMER-0fyv3uft,

Wiring the jaws together is considered the appropriate treatment for all jaw fractures, unless the fracture is limited to one or two teeth. Depending on the location and orientation of the fracture, surgical reduction, with wiring of the broken bone segments, is also sometimes necessary.

The wiring together of the jaws not only promotes healing of the broken bone, but also prevents displacement of the broken segments, which could otherwise inflict additional injury to the soft tissues, blood vessels, and nerves which run through the bones. Application of this procedure is somewhat time-critical, because non-union of the fracture, or displacement of the broken segments, may necessitate surgical re-positioning. I would strongly suggest that you consult with an oral surgeon so that appropriate treatment can be provided as soon as possible.