Dr. Cliff
Dr. Cliff, Dentist
Experience:  15 years experience private practice, Member American Orthodontist Society, Mini Implant Certified

I get frequent blood blisters on the inside of my cheeks on

Customer Question

I get frequent blood blisters on the inside of my cheeks on either side. It's been happening on and off for years now. However, I've been getting them more frequently. I notice them with my tongue or feel them internally then look and sure enough it's swollen part filled with blood. They then go away on their own in a few days. I have photos but am not sure how to upload?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Cliff replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for using JustAnswer. You can put your photos on WWW.mediafire.com and then paste the link in a response to me. Thanks Dr. Cliff
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I can't. They look like blisters pea shaped filled with blood. Raised on either side cheek. Inside mouth.
Expert:  Dr. Cliff replied 3 years ago.
I have several things in mind. Help me a little more. Are you taking medications for anything? Do you have any systemic medical conditions? Are the blisters painful? Thanks for your reply. Dr. Cliff
Dr. Cliff, Dentist
Experience: 15 years experience private practice, Member American Orthodontist Society, Mini Implant Certified
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I take paxil. Klonapon for anxiety. I don't know what systemic means. I also take advil or tylanol for pain
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
U never answered ???
Expert:  Dr. Cliff replied 3 years ago.
Sorry for the delay. By systemic, I mean, do you have diabetes, nerve conditions, or Multiple Scelorosis or Muscular Dystrophy?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Never been diagnosed wig anything other than Ibs and anxiety
Expert:  Dr. Cliff replied 3 years ago.

Have you noticed any other skin rashes on your body about the same time you have the blisters in your mouth? I am trying to narrow some choices down. Some are ethnic related. What is your ethnic background?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
White and no
Expert:  Dr. Cliff replied 3 years ago.
I have been looking all your symptoms up in my oral diagnosis book. The blisters can be a sign of some form of internal disease starting. This is not to scare you, I have not seen them so very difficult to look through 1000's of lesions and come up with a 100% accurate diagnosis. Most of the symptoms described usually require some sort of steroid therapy to resolve. I suggest getting an appointment with your physician and let them do a blood work up, just to rule out anything serious. Blood blisters are usually associated with some other condition, this is the reason for the blood work up. Wish I had something more definite to tell you, but without seeing it is very hard to diagnose. Dr. Cliff
Dr. Cliff, Dentist
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok ur sort of scaring me. I've had bloodwork recently. It's all nOrmal. Including psa and live panel. Glucose was 105. Can I email you a photo?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
forget the photos. whatever. Can it just be a result of me bitign my cheeks often?
Expert:  Dr. Cliff replied 3 years ago.

Trauma from cheek biting can cause bleeding of the cheeks if you are biting them that hard. When you originally asked the question, you never mentioned that as a habit. I read it as they appeared and you only noticed them by feeling them with your tongue, then when you looked in there you saw blisters that were filled with blood. This is the reason I searched my resources over for blisters that appeared on their own. So, as I stated before, I found that recurring blood blisters in the mouth are secondary to something else going on. Cheek biting doesn't usually appear as tiny little blood blisters, it usually is a larger traumatized area. This is the reason for me not saying it was cheek biting. Again, I am not trying to scare you, but telling you what I found. If you are constantly chewing your cheeks then you may notice traumatized tissue on both sides and blood may be present. If you have already had blood test done recently and all was normal then you could be dealing with cheek biting. Sorry did not mean to scare you. Dr. Cliff

Dr. Cliff, Dentist