Jasleen Bagga
Jasleen Bagga, Dentist
Experience:  B.D.S with 4 years of experience
17394144

My immediate top and bottom dentures do not line up front to

My immediate top and bottom dentures do not line up front to back. I have figured out that if I am in a reclyning position (like I was when the impressions were taken) they line up perfectly. This appears to be because of jaw movement. Can this issue be resolved with a soft reline before the permenant reline is made?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Jasleen Bagga replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for using ' Just Answer ' and i would be glad to assist you.

If your immediate dentures does not seat properly, the tissue surface of the denture could be reduced by the dentist.Occlusion should be refined.If the denture has poor adaptation, tissue conditioners could be used for tissue surface of the denture.Due to different position of the teeth centric relation and occlusion are difficult to record.The try-in procedure is not possible,hence dentist cannot have any idea about the outcome of the denture.Thus, certain amount of discrepancy may be present, which could be corrected in your permanent dentures.The only concern in immediate dentures should be occlusal harmony and functional efficiency ( occlusal disharmony would cause pain in TMJ and would reduce the functional efficiency of the dentures ).

Any Further Questions, Revert and i would be glad to assist you.

Bonuses would be Appreciated.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
My immediate dentues do seat properly. The teeth on the lower plate are not aligned properly. Can you please answer my original question. Can this be resolved with a soft relign? Or does the bottom denture need to be sent back to the lab for correction?

Thanks for your response!!

Can this be resolved with a soft reline? Or does the bottom denture need to be sent back to the lab for correction?

Ans It could be resolved with a soft reline.

Bonuses would be Appreciated.

Jasleen Bagga, Dentist
Experience: B.D.S with 4 years of experience
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld, DDS replied 6 years ago.

Dear JACUSTOMER-fapiboc6,

The type of bite issue you describe derives from the so-called "occlusal record"-- the registration of the relative spacial positions of your lower and upper jaws relative to each other. You are correct in your suspicion that a re-line will do nothing to correct this issue.

Keep in mind that your description suggests a type of bite that is not necessarily in need of correction. In fact, many dentists intentionally position the teeth so they mesh in this rearwardly-displaced lower jaw position-- a position that is formally referred to as "centric relation", in which the lower jaw is maximally retruded. The relevant consideration is whether you can chew in your dentures' current configuration, and it may be too soon to make that judgment so soon after the delivery of your dentures. Make no mistake-- wearing new dentures is a learning process that takes time, and unless the bite is clearly wrong, you should give yourself several months to accommodate to your new prostheses. If it turns out that you cannot become accustomed to your current bite, you will have no recourse other than to make new dentures with the bite configured more accurately. This is usually easier to do on the second set, because the healing of the gums creates a more stable foundation on which to develop a functional bite.

Hope this helps...