Dr. Cliff
Dr. Cliff, Dentist
Experience:  15 years experience private practice, Member American Orthodontist Society, Mini Implant Certified
29738074

I bit my tongue and it will not heal due to me constantly rubbing

Customer Question

I bit my tongue and it will not heal due to me constantly rubbing it against my teeth making it very painful to eat or drink. Is there anything I can do? Pease help
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Cliff replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for using JustAnswer. Sorry to hear you are such problems with the bite. Unfortunately the tongue will have to just heal on it's own. The trauma of you biting it over and over is keeping it swollen. This is why it will not heal. There is a prescription your dentist can call in for you. It is called Kenalog N Orbase. It is a paste you can apply to that side of your tongue. It will help with the pain so you can get some relief. For now try soft foods for several days to try to keep from having to bite so hard to chew your food. This will prevent you from re injuring your tongue. Best of Luck! Dr. Cliff
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
why does my tongue favor oneside of my mouth? that being the bruised side?
Expert:  Dr. Cliff replied 4 years ago.
You really might not be favoring that side. With the trauma from the bite, that side of your tongue is swollen. When you close or eat, your tongue now does not fit in between your teeth like it used to. So now you are hitting it first. May try to stay on Ibuprofen for a couple of days. It is an anti inflammatory drug that will help reduce a little bit of the swelling. Dr. Cliff