Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

Why is the roof of my mouth feel like I got a rough surface

Customer Question

Why is the roof of my mouth feel like I got a rough surface and the corner of my mouth feel so chapped
Category: Dental
Expert:  replied 4 years ago.
Dear ,

If the onset of the lesion at the corner of your mouth was at about the same time as the change in the texture of your palate, it is probable that they are related.

A possible cause for these symptoms is an oral yeast
infection, or thrush, which can occur either when the body's defenses are down due to illness (either acute, such as acute viral syndrome, or chronic, as in diabetes), or as a side effect of antibiotic therapy.

Thrush often resolves when the underlying cause resolves. However, it is a bit presumptuous to assume that your problem is truly due to thrush, because there are a wide variety of other conditions that could conceivably account for the non-specific symptoms you describe. These conditions could be as mundane as a poorly-fitting denture, or as serious as an undiagnosed systemic disorder manifesting in your mouth.

Because of this, I strongly recommend that you arrange an appointment with your dentist if the symptoms don't go away within a time frame of two weeks. Once the nature of your condition has been clarified, an appropriate therapeutic course can be prescribed.

Hope this helps...
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks so much for getting back to me and I accept your answer. I have made an appointment with both my dentist and doctor's office. Which one should I cancel. Also, is gargling with salt-water and peroxide good for this?
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld, DDS replied 4 years ago.
Dear ,

It would be best if you saw your dentist first, because he is more likely to be able to identify the condition by its appearance. If it is his judgment, he may recommend that you consult with your medical doctor as well, but a
diagnosis is best done first, and your dentist is best qualified to do this.

Rinsing with warm salt water solution is soothing, and may improve comfort until more targeted therapy can be prescribed. I would recommend that you do not use hydrogen peroxide, which can be irritating to inflamed tissues.

Good luck!