Jasleen Bagga
Jasleen Bagga, Dentist
Experience:  B.D.S with 4 years of experience

Im in the process of having a new crown made. The temporary

I'm in the process of having a new crown made. The temporary is fine but the dentist remarked it was not long enough. I have paid half of the charge $762.50 (total $1525). What is my recourse if I do not like the permanent one? He did the same thing on the other side giving me an overbite in the process but would not admit the miscalculation. Can I accept the temporary and refuse the permanent one? I have gone to him for 40 years and repeated discussions about my displeasure have not been satisfactory. He simply insists he followed the impressions but if so, the impressions were wrong.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Jasleen Bagga replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for using ' Just Answer ' and i would be glad to assist you.

Dr. Behere is offline at this moment.

Would you like me to guide you or would you like to wait till Dr. Behere would be online?

Thanks!!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
May I assume you, too, are a dentist?

Thanks for your response!!

Yes, we are all ' Verified ' Dentists.You could check the verified symbol on the profiles.

Thanks!!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry, I did know that. I have been agonizing about my options and clouded by the insecurities they present. I would be glad to hear your opinion about the matter.

Thanks for your response!!

It is true that temporary crowns do not have a long life. The life is usually ranging from 2 weeks to 2 months.Temporary crowns tend to fracture when placed over the long span bridges.They also wear easily.They tend to have marginal leakage.They have inadequate bonding to the tooth structure. Moreover, the material used is usually porous and absorb the oral fluid which lead to bad odour.It also has a poor tissue response which could result in tissue irritation.So, it is important to remove the temporary crown.

Once the permanent crown is fabricated in the lab, it is not possible manipulate it.However, it could be adjusted to remove high points ( trimming of occlusal surface in case you feel the bite is high or the vertical length of the crown is more leading to inability to close the teeth properly ).It is the least possibility for a dentist with such an experience to take improper impressions. Failure of fixed prosthesis could be due to many reasons such as improper / insufficient tooth reduction, improper preparation of the gingival margin, undercuts, improper flaring, failure to include certain features like radial shoulders, bevels, chamfer finish etc which helps in periodontal preparation, structural durability and marginal integrity of the crown.

As mentioned above, once permanent crown is fabricated in lab, it cannot be manipulated to great extent. I would advise you that if you doubt the outcome of the treatment, it is better not to invest further. I would suggest you to visit a ' Prosthodontist ' who specializes in preparation of prosthesis.

Any Further Questions, Revert and i would be glad to Answer.

Bonuses would be Appreciated.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I understand all the ramifications of a temporary crown and have no intentions of leaving it that way....I would seek another dentist. However, do I have the right to not accept the permanent crown if it does not meet my satisfaction. Would I be charged the remainder of the fee? As to the former crowns.......all my life I never had an overbite and feel he went for cosmetics rather than function. How could I end up with an overbite when I never had one before?

Thanks for your response!!

If the crown poses any minor adjustment problems, you could always visit your dentist for the correction of the same.Minor adjustment could be done easily, however, in case your dentist finds that you are facing problems such as pain, inability to chew properly etc - it's an ethical duty of the dentist that if the adjustment are beyond the repair, he should get the new crown fabricated for you without any additional charge. At times, the patient feels slight discomfort to the new fabricated crown. However,if there is no pain and you could chew the food properly, the time would make you habituated to the new crown.

You need not worry about the bite.The functional stability of the crown includes no pain during chewing and ability to chew the food properly.For overbite, there could be many reasons and unfortunately, it cannot be predicted without having the look of the prepared cast and the oral cavity.It may be possible that certain discrepancy is present in your original occlusion or there is a periodontal problem.But, whatsoever reason may be there, the preparation of the teeth for the crown is done according for the functional and structural stability.

Rather than looking for a ' General Dentist ', i would recommend you to visit a ' Prosthodontist ' who would take care of this in a much better way.

Wish you good luck!!

Bonuses would be Appreciated.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You're missing my point. I'm talking about the size of the permanent crown. I've never had any problem with pain or fit. If the permanent crown is bigger (longer) than the temperary and he will not (or cannot) adjust it, do I have to pay for it? All the other crowns that created the overbite are longer than my original teeth. and make for an uneven appearance on the opposing side. I would like to avoid that. I'm not worried about the bite function but the cosmetics of the former crowns. I have spent thousands and thousands of dollars on my teeth and feel I should have a better cosmetic outcome.

Thanks for your response!!

In case , if the front teeth are involved and your are not satisfied with appearance of the crown, then ideally you do not have to pay the amount.

In other words, it's ethical for a dentist not to charge you, if your are not happy with the appearance of the crown ( Only in case of front teeth ).

Wish you good luck!!

Bonuses would be Appreciated.

Jasleen Bagga, Dentist
Experience: B.D.S with 4 years of experience