Dr. Cliff
Dr. Cliff, Dentist
Experience:  15 years experience private practice, Member American Orthodontist Society, Mini Implant Certified
29738074

I have a very sore spot on the left roof of my mouth that looks

Customer Question

I have a very sore spot on the left roof of my mouth that looks like several ulcers semi- connected. It is very hot as if w/ a fever, like a "hot spot". It has a bright red ring around it. It looks white in the center. It started about 4 days ago and really hurts. It feels like it's raw & is especially tender to have food or liquid touch it. I've tried holding warm salt h20 in my mouth to help it heal. I've occaisionally had a sore in my mouth; they always went away. I love spicy hot food, but I can't trace this to a recent meal. I smoked for 15 yrs, but quit 11 yrs ago. I also have routinely self medicated w/ alcohol (vodka & OJ ) after the tragic loss of my mother and dear son. I may unconsciously hold the liquid in my mouth before swallowing. I have no insurance since I spent much $ trying to find the cure for my son's melanoma; sadly we lost that fight. I'm terrified this could be oral cancer & I'm afraid to get checked w/o insurance, in case it is. I don't have a history of that in my family, but my ex ( my deceased son's father does have squamous cell cancer of the mouth that went into his neck lymph nodes). Is it possible he passed something on to me long ago? ( I believe his family gene caused our son's deadly melanoma, as it appeared where the sun does not shine). I've read there is also connection between oral cancer & alcohol & smoking. If this does heal soon, could it still be cancer even if it healed? What do you think & is there any low cost test that I could take to check my mouth for cancer either w/ a dentist or OTC. Thank you for any info. Gratefully, KW
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Cliff replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for using JustAnswer. First, sorry to hear you are having such a hard time in your life. Things will get better. As far as the lesion in the roof of your mouth, it is very hard for me to say what this is without seeing the lesion at a clinical exam. This could be some type of lesion associated with stress. Hopefully not cancer. Try to avoid the spicy foods, that will not help. You could try rinsing with a mixture of 1/2 warm water and 1/2 hydrogen peroxide to help kill any bacteria that may be present around the lesion. One simple test that you can have done that is not too expensive is a swab test called ORAL CDX. This is a very simple test that involves rolling a small round brush over the edges of the lesion. The sample is put on a slide and sent to be read by a pathologist. The results come back in just a few days. Most of the time it can be done without anesthesia. I would suggest finding a dentist that uses this technique. It would be your least expensive route at this point. Best of Luck and God Bless. Dr. Cliff