Dr. Cliff
Dr. Cliff, Dentist
Experience:  15 years experience private practice, Member American Orthodontist Society, Mini Implant Certified

I bite down hard on my teeth consistently. I have been trying

I bite down hard on my teeth consistently. I have been trying to stop this habit-forever. I have a dental guard and it works but I bite down hard on that at night. What can I do to stop this during the day? Is there anything else I can obtain to help? I've tried eliminating stress but this goes beyond that. HELP!
Hello and thanks for the question. Well usually a bite gard is your first choice to try and keep from damaging your teeth. It does not help stop the problem though. What happens is your muscles are over powering your teeth. This may seem new to hear but your muscles are trying to get happy. So grinding your teeth is a way to get the muscles happy. What I suggest is to look on the net for a LVI (Las Vegas Institute) graduate in your area. They have been trained in Neuromuscular Dentistry. They can so an exam and let you know what can be done to your teeth to help your grinding. Most of the time if you get your muscles quit grinding. Best of Luck! Dr. Cliff