Dr. Cliff
Dr. Cliff, Dentist
Experience:  15 years experience private practice, Member American Orthodontist Society, Mini Implant Certified

hi i have noticed brown spots irregular on my right mouth cheek

Customer Question

hi i have noticed brown spots irregular on my right mouth cheek its not pain full but now after a month of having them in mouths its starting to irrate and mouth is getting yellowish
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Cliff replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using JustAnswer. Are you a smoker? Do you chew tobacco or dip snuff? When did you notice the brown spots to first appear? Did your doctor give you any kind of diagnosis? Dr. Cliff
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no i dont smoke but i tried weed in amsterdam in the summer of 2009. i have have noticed them like a months ago and now after i went to the doctor he was looking at them with the stick thing they use to look in your mouths. when i came back home my mouth started to feel numb. not the spot at the back of my mouth. the doctor just keep looking at them if the shape is starting to change . but i dont think the shape has changed since i noticed them. just the top of my mouth getting yellowish
Expert:  Dr. Cliff replied 3 years ago.
Thanks again, right off hand I don't have a diagnosis for you. I will do a little research and see what I can come up with. For now I will leave the question open for other experts and see if they know what it is, but I will follow up with you after looking this up. Thanks Dr. Cliff
Expert:  Dr. Cliff replied 3 years ago.
I have found several conditions that cause brown and yellow tinting of the tissues. Please let me know about your medical history. Do you have any systemic diseases or problems? Are you taking any medications regularly for anything? What ethnic background are you? Other than the weed is there any other recreational drugs that you try? Please follow up. Thanks Dr. Cliff
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i m not sure bout the yellowish colour anymore it might be me being paranoid but the brown irregular spots dont really hurt. well i dont have any systemic disease that i know of. but once when i played football in the winter it was really called and the next day from my elbow to my hand i couldn't move it conferable it felt like i was getting electrocuted every time i moved a finger, best way i could describe it. i went to the doctor he said it might be an inherited disease called Sickle cell . i had done a blood test that never came through it got lost or something. so i m not sure.it only hurt when i play foot ball and i get hit around my arms. meaning its recurring.but it doesn't really bother me. i have Eczema but its not that bad.

i m really not sure wat systemic diseases are? sorry

the weed was a one off i dont really smoke regularly. just for that trip to Amsterdam. and i dont take any other drugs either

i dont take any medical drugs at all

my ethnic group is black african
Expert:  Dr. Cliff replied 3 years ago.
Thanks again. I will try to narrow a few things down. Be in touch soon. Dr. Cliff
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ow ye
all so i get hayfever and im allergic to cats
if thats wat u mean about systemic disease
Expert:  Dr. Cliff replied 3 years ago.
Thanks...
Expert:  Dr. Cliff replied 3 years ago.
Well I have been working on this for you and have come up with several things this could be. It is very hard to narrow it down without actually doing a complete clinical exam. I am only going by a description of the brown spots. Number one thing, brown pigment on your cheeks could be simply related to your ethnic background. Racial pigmentation is very common and located on gums and cheeks. This could be it since you have had no problems and pain associated with these spots. This would require no treatment. Second, this type of pigmentation is associated with smokers, and found on the areas you have described. May not be this since you say you are not a regular smoker. Other brown spots may be associated with autoimmune diseases, such as, Peutz-Jighers syndrome, Addison's Disease, McCune-Albright syndrome, Heavy Metal poisoning. Other brown spots could be associated with cancers such as Malignant Melanoma. Other possibilities could be Neurofibromatosis or even Melanotic macules. So as you can see, there are many things that these brown spots could be associated with. I would suggest next time you at your dentist, be sure to point these spots out. It would not hurt to see a pathologist at a dental school who could see the spots and make recommendations. It also would not hurt to keep at least 6 month checkups with your family physician in order to let him familiar with the spots. Best of Luck! Dr. Cliff
Dr. Cliff, Dentist
Experience: 15 years experience private practice, Member American Orthodontist Society, Mini Implant Certified
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
is there anyway i could upload a picture
Expert:  Dr. Cliff replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for the reply. You can attach a picture to a reply to me by using the TREE button on the tool bar. If that doesn't work, then you can go to www.mediafire.com and post the picture there. Then you can share it. Copy the link file and then paste it in a reply to me and I can view it. Dr. Cliff