Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

I have a red patch on my tongue(in the center). I had it checked

I have a red patch on my tongue(in the center). I had it checked by my md. and then by a ent. They both felt it looked like a burn but I am concerned it may be something else as I have been having a dry mouth and feel almost like a tightness under my tongue from time to time. My glands are not swollen and i do not have a sore throat or any trouble swallowing. What could these symptoms possible mean. The end of my tongue feels a little sensitive sometimes.Also I feel like this smooth pinkish reddish spot has gotten a little bigger.
Category: Dental
Expert:  replied 6 years ago.
Dear JACUSTOMER-fektjug3,

There are several different things that a red patch on the top surface of the tongue could represent. The most common explanation is a condition known as benign migratory glossitis, also known as "geographic tongue". The cause of this condition is unknown, but there is some suspicion that candida albicans, a type of yeast, plays some role. As the word "benign" implies, this condition is harmless; the most important issue is that it should be distinguished from more serious conditions, which is a simple matter for any dentist.

The other condition that presents as a red area in the middle of the tongue is median rhomboid glossitis, which is thought to be a result of the way the tongue forms in embryologic development; it too is considered to be a trivial lesion.

For a reliable diagnosis, it is always prudent to seek an assessment by a dentist so that any of the more significant issues can be ruled out.

Hope this helps...