Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience:  Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.
8790942

I have really bad toothache in one tooth and it wont go away

Customer Question

I have really bad toothache in one tooth and it won't go away even with painkillers - my dentist said eventually I would need a root canal but I haven't had one yet. I have only eaten Ensure (liquid food drink) but took some paracetemol and 2 cataflam over the past 8hrs, I now also feel shaky and nauseus what can I do? It hurts even to swallow.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.

If the tooth ache is not responding to painkillers and if your dentist said you need a root canal then you should get one as soon as possible.

Your nausea could be a side effect of the drugs you are taking.

I suggest you stop taking any more painkillers, call your dentist and report the side effects to him. He can then give you alternative prescription.

For now, at the most, and if your tooth has a hole in it, try the “Toothache Drops” are available at your pharmacy and do not require a prescription. they contain clove oil which is very soothing to a tooth. Place 2 drops on a pellet of cotton and place the pellet in the tooth for some time.

See your dentist ASAP for a root canal appointment !

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information.

Good Luck !

Regards,
Dr. Behere.

If my answer has helped you, please click on the *ACCEPT* button and give me *POSITIVE FEEDBACK*.

A * BONUS* will be highly appreciated. This tells me that my advice was indeed beneficial.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks very much for the speedy response. However we live in Barbados and there is no 24hr dental care on the weekend and to top it off its a Bank Holiday so the earliest we can see the dentist is Tuesday. We will try the clove oil as you said - many thanks.

Is there anything else we can try with regards XXXXX XXXXX relief? Salt water etc?

thanks

You are welcome.

Well, salt water may not really help, but it will surely not harm. You can try it.

Sometimes suspending the tooth in water, relieves the pressure inside it and reduces pain. Just plain water would also do.

Regards,
Dr. Behere.