Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience:  Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.
8790942

Can low grade infection at the base of a root canal cause swollen

Can low grade infection at the base of a root canal cause swollen glands in the neck and lumps at the back of the throat?
As the crown on top of the root canal has now been fractured for almost a year would it be beneficial to health to have the half crown and canal removed?
I have an alkaline diet and suffer from no other infections so I can only assume my immune system is continuing to battle with this fractured tooth

Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.

Yes, an abcess at the base of a root canal can cause enlargement of the lymph nodes of the head and neck region. ( these are the swollen glands in the neck and lumps at the back of the throat that you are experiencing).

I would suggest a consult with a specialist, that is an Endodontist. After X rays are made, a re-root canal may be attempted as a last effort to salvage the tooth. Also, a retrograde approach (an apicoectomy procedure) may be employed, where the root apex is directly curetted,disinfected and sealed.

On the other hand, if the endodontist is of the opinion that such procedures do not carry with them a high chance of success, then the tooth along with whatever crown is remaining can be removed.

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information.

I wish you a speedy recovery !!!

Regards,
Dr. Behere.

If my answer has helped you, please click on the *ACCEPT* button and give me *POSITIVE FEEDBACK*.

A * BONUS* will be highly appreciated. This tells me that my advice was indeed beneficial.