Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience:  Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.

Hi, my two bottom front teeth have been sore for a few days

Hi, my two bottom front teeth have been sore for a few days now. There is no sign of decay - in fact I have been to a dentist a few months back and he did not find anything wrong with my teeth.

The pain is not very intense but it is persistent and starting to drive me mad. I am 20 years old, no history of decay or any dental problems at all, which leaves me quite puzzled with this. What could be the cause of this? Any way to null the pain until I can see a dentist for treatment in a few days?

Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.

This could be dentinal hypersensitivity.

Cavities and fractured teeth are the most common causes of sensitive teeth. But if your dentist has ruled these problems out on X rays, then worn tooth enamel, a cracked tooth or an exposed tooth root may be the culprits.

A layer of enamel, protects the crowns of healthy teeth.Likewise, a layer called cementum protects the roots under the gum line. Underneath the enamel and the cementum is dentin, a part of the tooth that is weaker and more sensitive than enamel or cementum.

When the dentin loses its protective covering ( enamel or cementum), heat and cold or acidic or sticky foods stimulate the nerves and cells inside the tooth. This causes hypersensitivity.

Dentin can also be exposed when gums recede. The result can be hypersensitivity near the gum line. Proper oral hygiene is the key to preventing receding gums and causing sensitivity.

Luckily, sensitive teeth can be treated.A desensitizing toothpaste, which contains compounds that help block transmission of sensation from the tooth surface to the nerve are very useful. But they require several applications before the sensitivity is reduced.

If this does not work, your dentist may suggest in-office techniques. A fluoride gel, which strengthens tooth enamel and reduces the transmission of sensations, may be applied to the sensitive areas of the teeth.

If receding gums cause the sensitivity, your dentist may use agents that bond to the tooth root to "seal" the sensitive teeth from the oral environment. The sealer usually is composed of a plastic material like Glass Ionomer Cement.

In cases where hypersensitivity is severe and persistent and cannot be treated by any other means, your dentist may recommend endodontic (root canal) treatment to eliminate the problem. This removes the nerves from the tooth, thereby removing any and all sensations that the tooth might feel.

For now, to null the pain until you can see a dentist, take anti inflammatory medication. A very good way to control dental pain using over the counter medications is to switch between taking 400 milligrams of ibuprofen (e.g., 2 tablets of Advil), and 1000 milligrams of acetaminophen (e.g., 2 tablets of extra-strength Tylenol) every 3 hours. Be careful not to use these medications if you have had previous adverse reactions to either, or if you have had gastritis or peptic ulcer disease in the past, or if you have liver disease.

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information.

I wish you a speedy recovery !!!

Dr. Behere.

If my answer has helped you, please click on the *ACCEPT* button and give me *POSITIVE FEEDBACK*.

A * BONUS* will be highly appreciated. This tells me that my advice was indeed beneficial.