Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience:  Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.
8790942
Dental

can cephalexin help with tooth infection and swollen cheek

s

Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.

Yes, cephalexin will help, but not treat the tooth infection. For completely getting rid of the infection, the cause of the infection must be removed. I would not suggest you self medicate yourself with cephalexin.

It is likely that the tooth needs a root canal, or the tooth needs to be removed.

I suggest you visit a dentist ASAP. A X ray of the tooth will reveal the cause of the infection, and dictate further treatment.

For now, apply ice to the jaws from outside. Do not apply heat from outside.

If your gums are swollen, try rinsing frequently with hot salt water. Prepare this by dissolving ½-teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of water. Do not make it too hot, or your mouth wont be able to tolerate it.The heat from this water will soften the tissue that forms the wall of the swelling, and promote the chances of drainage. If successful, it can cause the abcess to burst, greatly relieving your discomfort.

If you are in pain, take anti inflammatory medication. Switch between taking 400 milligrams of ibuprofen (e.g., 2 tablets of Advil), and 1000 milligrams of acetaminophen (e.g., 2 tablets of extra-strength Tylenol) every 3 hours. Be careful not to use these medications if you have had previous adverse reactions to either, or if you have had gastritis or peptic ulcer disease in the past, or if you have liver disease.

See a dentist ASAP !

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information.

I wish you a speedy recovery !!!

Regards,
Dr. Behere.

If my answer has helped you, please click on the *ACCEPT* button and give me *POSITIVE FEEDBACK*.

A * BONUS* will be highly appreciated. This tells me that my advice was indeed beneficial.