Jasleen Bagga
Jasleen Bagga, Dentist
Experience:  B.D.S with 4 years of experience
17394144

Hello How long do you have to leave a tooth abcess untreated

Hello How long do you have to leave a tooth abcess untreated for it to become dangerous and possibly spread to the the brain? I got a infection on my front tooth and it swelled with pus causing my lip to swell but i got it drained and now im on antibiotics its been 7 days the swelling is gone there is just a very small amount around the area were the dentist made the whole to drain and there is some white skin sometimes showing almost looks like pus bubbles but i am in no pain just have wierd throbbing sensitive feeling but no pain. Please help i dont want it to spread anywhere.

Thanks Nick

Thanks for using ' Just Answer ' and i would be glad to assist you.

You need to Relax. A Tooth Abscess does not Spread to Brain.As the pain is not there, i would Suggest you to Visit your Dentist and undergo RCT ( Root Canal Treatment ) as there leaving the Necrotic Pulp behind could cause Acute Aggravation of infection in Future.

Any Further Questions, Revert and i would be glad to Answer.

Bonuses would be Appreciated.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Hello how bad would it have to be to get a brain abcess? Also I am in the process having a root canal I already had it drained and i am on amoxcillin 3 pills a day 500 milgrams im on day 7. Am i worrying to much or?

Thanks

Thanks for your response!!

I Understand your Concern. You need to Relax.The Symptoms that you have are Quite Common. Regarding Brain Abscess, i have seen it VERY RARE.There is no Specific Time Frame.It all Depends on the Condition of the Tooth. The infection could Spread from the Teeth to the Brain through Blood Vessels.

But, as i said, Your's Case seems to be a Normal One.

Bonuses would be Appreciated.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
im getting alot of dizziness is that from the antibiotics but i feel fine no fever and also if a tooth infection was very serious wouldnt your whole face swell up?

Thanks for your response!!

Dizziness, Nausea and Vomiting are the Side Effects of the Antibiotics.No, Usually the Whole Face Would not Swell Up. For Example - If your Right Side Tooth is Infected, it usually cause Swelling on the Right Hand Side.

Bonuses would be Appreciated.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

How long will it take to fully heal after my root canal is done and the very small swelling around the whole were the drainage was performed and the white skin like pus bubbles that i pop that show up is it normal and part of the healing and that will be my last qustion and i will accept the answer.

Thanks for your response!!

You are most Welcome to ask As many Questions as you would like till you are Completely Satisfied.

Root Canal is Completed when there is elimination of Infection from the Periapical Area. Regarding the White Skin Like Pus Bubbles, that is an Opening of the Gum to release the pus and it would suffice on it's Own.

In Case, Root Canal Filling is Done without Complete Elimination of Infection,there would be a Failure of RCT ( Root Canal Treatment ).

Correction ( Typo Error ) - The First Post that i sent - I Wrote ' A Tooth Abscess Does not Spread to Brain '. It should be ' A Tooth Abscess Does not Spread EASILY to Brain '.

Bonuses would be Appreciated.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

its been 8 days since i had the drainage done if it was serious would i have been sick right now?

Thanks for your response!!

Acute Aggravation of Infection of Necrotic Pulp usually lead to Pus Formation which is Quite Common and it would take some time for the Gingiva to Heal.You could Opt for Warm Saline Rinses to Fasten the Process.

Bonuses would be Appreciated.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is it true that for a tooth abcess to spread to other areas it would need to be left untreated and also is usually seen in people with weakend immune systems? I read it at a health med sight.

Thanks for your response!!

Yes, it is Quite Possible to Infect Other areas.It could cause Septicemia.

Note - The White Skin you mentioned might be acting as Sinus Opening for Draining the Pus. RCT or Extraction of the Offending would lead to Earliest Closure of the Sinus.

Kindly Accept the Solution,if 100% Satisfied from my response.

Bonuses would be Appreciated.