Dr. Cliff
Dr. Cliff, Dentist
Experience:  15 years experience private practice, Member American Orthodontist Society, Mini Implant Certified

It hurts to open my mouth wide, but not to close it or clench

Customer Question

It hurts to open my mouth wide, but not to close it or clench my jaw. The pain is only on the right side and this is the second day that I have awoken with this pain. Yesterday it went away over the course of the day. I don't remember a specific incident which caused it. I remember thinking that maybe my muscles were sore from eating a large amount of almonds the night before the first time I experienced it (I was continually chewing and I remember thinking that my jaw muscles were hurting a little :)) But other than that I don't remember anything specific. The pain is at its worst when I apply resistance to the bottom of my chin and try to open my mouth. I've poked and prodded around my teeth and gums but nothing hurts to the touch. Any help or insight would be appreciated! Candace
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Cliff replied 6 years ago.

Hey Candace sounds like you may be developing TMJ (Temporomandibular Joint )pain. My suggestion would be like you are doing and relaxing the jaw. Lay off the gum, coffee, and sour things; these are things that seem to irritate the joint the most. I recommend Ibuprofin 800mgs every 4 hours to try to get some relief. It is an anti inflammatory drug that should give you some relief. They do make a mouth guard that you can buy at any drug store which you can try to get some relief. If after trying this, if it doesn't work, you may need some muscle relaxers to give some relief. Wear the guard at nite at first and see if it gives you relief. If yes, continue just at nites. If not you need to get in for an exam to rule out other problems that may be present. Hope this gives you some relief.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.