Dr. Cliff
Dr. Cliff, Dentist
Experience:  15 years experience private practice, Member American Orthodontist Society, Mini Implant Certified

i have little cuts on my tongue they hurt a little whar could

i have little cuts on my tongue they hurt a little whar could it be?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Cliff replied 6 years ago.

Unfortunately there are too many things that develop on the tongue to try and figure out what this is....could you be a little more descriptive of what it looks like...

1. Have they always been there?

2. Are they red or white?

3. Does anything particular bother the cuts more? That is....cold stuff, hot stuff, or sweet stuff?

4. Have you changed your toothpaste brand lately?

5. Do you have any systemic health problems?

Please elaborate on these questions so I can try to help you.....Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
2 years on and off they come for one - three days and heal it varies when they appearor happen
nothing bothers them
havent changed anything like toothpaste or mouth wash
as far as i kno nothing is wrong i ont go to te doctor i dont get sick
Expert:  Dr. Cliff replied 6 years ago.
Unfortunately there are too many conditions that appear on the tongue to give you a definite diagnosis without seeing the tongue when these cuts appear. Several suggestions could be....#1 Fissures on the tongue. These are cuts on the tongue that appear as deep grooves, but is a normal condition. Sometimes if deep enough food debris and plaque can get trapped in these grooves and cause pain. #2 Inflammed taste buds. There are many taste buds present on the tongue. Front, back, and side taste buds can get inflammed. If they happen to be in the deep fissures, this could make the fissures feel as if they were cut. #3 Geographic Tongue.....even though usually doesn't cause pain, may appear like a road map on your tongue and could be red. Sometimes deep grooves are associated with this condition, but is normal. I would suggests getting an oral exam when these cuts appear again in order to get a definite diagnosis. There are books available that are relatively inexpensive on Common Oral Diseases. You may want to get one and see if you recognize this condition in the section on Conditions of the Tongue.