Dr. Behere
Dr. Behere, Dentist
Experience:  Masters degree, years of experience with all kinds of dental problems.
8790942

3 days of intermittent pain in lower jaw--left side. Ranges

3 days of intermittent pain in lower jaw--left side. Ranges from no pain to mild to moderate---never severe. Feels like toothache. But nothing showed up on x-ray today at dentist. There seems to be no trigger to the pain (putting pressure or tapping teeth, reaction to hot or cold, etc.)
Could this be related to heart? I had quadruple bypass 16 years ago ( I am now 74 years old) > Cardiologist gave me clean bill of health when I took nuclear stress test 1 and 1/2 years ago and everything also looked good a few weeks ago when I had a electrocardiogram'Any other possible causes?
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Behere replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for putting up your question on Just Answer.

You seem to lie in the grey area of orofacial pain , what we term as Atypical Facial Pain or Atypical odontalgia, which does not respond to any therapy, and for which no cause can be found.There is nothing wrong with the teeth or gums. This type of pain is common at your age. It can be provoked by dental treatment, underlying systemic disease or it may be brought on by stressful life events.

These different types of pain do no not respond to conventional treatment, like antibiotics and steroids. They require non conventional treatment like sedatives, anxiolytics, antidepressants, physical self regulation, cognitive behavior therapy etc.

I suggest you visit the Orofacial Pain/Oral Medicine department of the dental school nearest to you. A full assessment is required to eliminate any underlying cause. Screening tests should be carried out to exclude hematinic (blood) deficiencies and to rule out diabetes. If all this is negative, there might be an underlying psychogenic cause(anxiety).

I also urge you to try alternative pain relief methods like Cognitive Behavior Therapy- includes relaxation and breathing techniques and positive re-enforcement of thought.

Sometimes such pain (if not related to teeth,gums) can be diagnosed in retrospect. That is, if you respond to certain type of medications, then the diagnosis can be confirmed.

Hope this answers your question. Feel free to contact me again for more information.

I wish you a speedy recovery !!!

Regards,
Dr. Behere.

If my answer has helped you, please click on the *ACCEPT* button and give me *POSITIVE FEEDBACK*.

A * BONUS* will be highly appreciated. This tells me that my advice was indeed beneficial.