Dr. Winterholler
Dr. Winterholler, Dentist
Experience:  4 years Private Practice, Heavy emphasis on Cosmetic Dentistry and Implants, Top 10% of Dental Class
23787198

Hi. Part of my last top molar broke off leaving mostly a

Hi. Part of my last top molar broke off leaving mostly a filling and remaining tooth. dentist said root canal not necessary, but would need a crown. Prepped tooth and put on temporary crown. 2 days later started with throbbing pain and toothache. called dentist he said this is normal because of temp crown. After 3 days pain getting worse so he said to come in and let him look at it. Took x-ray said no abcess, but gum area is red and puffy. Prescribed Keflex. Told me to come back in 3 days for my permanent crown. Does this mean the gum is infected?? Is it safe to put on permanent crown with gum infection?
Hello - if the pain you are experiencing is related to the gum tissue, the crown can safely be cemented without any concern. The only negative to cementing a crown with inflamed gum tissue is that it usually bleeds easily. It is important when a crown is cemented to keep the tooth free of any moisture, including blood to ensure that the cement that holds the crown on sticks properly. If the pain you are feeling is related to the tooth, only time will tell if it gets better. If the pain continues to increase, you will need root canal therapy to make the tooth feel better. I hope this information helps. Let me know if I can provide any clarification.