Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

Ive had a pus pocket next to my tooth on my gums, Ive been

Ive had a pus pocket next to my tooth on my gums, Ive been to the dentist a few times regarding this matter. He performed a root canal. Yet, the symptoms have re-appeared twice after the root canal. Ive been taking antibiotics twice now, for the perscibed 5 day period. im lost at this point. Can you tell me what could be happening here? Did the dentist miss some of the root, possibly?
Category: Dental
Expert:  replied 7 years ago.
Dear ,

There are a number of possible explanations for persistence of
abscess after root canal therapy, including:
  • inadequate root canal (e.g., poor cleaning of the canal, poor sealing of the canal, or failure to treat one or more of the canals)
  • fracture of the tooth root
  • infection due to an unrelated cause, such as periodontal disease
One thing is certain: antibiotics will never eliminate this problem; some form of active intervention will be necessary.

I would strongly suggest that if your root canal was performed by a general dentist, you should schedule an appointment with an endodontist (root canal specialist) to assess the quality of the service that has been previously provided. An endodontist will be able to more critically evaluate the factors that have caused persistence of the infection, and determine the appropriate remedial action.

Hope this helps...