Dr. Winterholler
Dr. Winterholler, Dentist
Experience:  4 years Private Practice, Heavy emphasis on Cosmetic Dentistry and Implants, Top 10% of Dental Class

Can you get a dry socket after an extraction and bone graft

Customer Question

Can you get a dry socket after an extraction and bone graft? Had this procedure done over 24 hours ago.....still in a lot of pain.....comparable to cold on a sensitive tooth...but constant
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Winterholler replied 6 years ago.
Hello and sorry to hear about your discomfort. If it has only been 24 hours, you do not have a dry socket. Dry sockets usually occur 4-7 days following the procedure. I would say that you are having normal post operative pain. Bone grafts can be quite painful. If you don't begin to feel much better within the next couple of days and the pain begins to increase instead of decrease over time, then you would want to return to the dentist to rule out dry socket. I hope this information has been helpful. Let me know if I can provide further clarification.