Dr. Winterholler
Dr. Winterholler, Dentist
Experience:  4 years Private Practice, Heavy emphasis on Cosmetic Dentistry and Implants, Top 10% of Dental Class

Hi, I had a white filling done in August 09 to a small cavity.

I had a white filling done in August 09 to a small cavity. Shortly after, I developed a sensitivity to some sugary foods (though NO hot/cold sensitivity) on that tooth. (Yes, I know to stay away from sugar). It has ranged from mild to severe pain, but doesn't last long. In December, I went back to the dentist about this. They took Xrays and it looks like the filling is leaking, which would be causing my pain. I had it replaced today and I am unhappy already. The tooth feels rough and I ate a sugary item and it hurt just the same!! (Like cavity pain if I remember correctly, though it's on a brand new filling). Is this something I should give a couple of weeks to see if the sensitivity and roughness works out on its own? What could the problem be??? I don't have the time or money to be a regular fixture at the dentist's office!!
Hello, sorry to hear about the discomfort you are having. I do think you should give it some time. Many times, white fillings can be sensitive for some period of time ranging from a few days to a few months. I would not be shy about returning to the dentist and asking him/her to polish the filling if it feels rough. That is just standard of care type stuff and truthfully, sometimes we think we have the filling polished well and the patient can still feel some roughness. Your tongue is a lot more sensitive to that then your dentist's eyes and explorer. Any good dentist would want you to feel like your filling is part of the tooth and not a rough piece of junk. It is possible that the sensitivity will never go away. Again -- POSSIBLE, but not likely. Anytime we remove any degree of natural tooth structure and place something unnatural back into the tooth, we put the tooth at risk of becoming irreversibly inflamed. You have to realize that this is unpredictable and sometimes unpreventable by even the best techniques. Give it some time though, I would expect it to calm down sometime soon. Good luck. Let me know if I can provide any further clarification.