Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA

The skin behind my two front teeth are bleeding when I brush.

Customer Question

The skin behind my two front teeth are bleeding when I brush. Its like when I've bitten into a piece of pizza with a hot piece of sausage on it and the skin swelled up. Usually when this has happened in the past the swelling would go away in a few days. I've tried to aviod brushing and also gargled with salt water. Still no help. It's been about a month now and does not seems to be getting much better. the swelling has increased a bit, but the bleeding is not as bad. It really doesn't hurt much, but is very annoing. and the bleeding does concern me.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld, DDS replied 7 years ago.

Bleeding may be the result of a variety of different issues-- among them gum disease, a periodontal abscess, a vascular lesion such as a pyogenic granuloma, or chronic physical trauma from contact with the lower incisors if there is a deep anterior bite.

A proper means of management necessarily depends on identifying the cause. It is for this reason that you need to schedule a formal diagnostic session with your dentist. After the nature of the problem has been determined, the appropriate therapeutic course can then be determined.

Hope this helps...