Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
2883465

What is the major difference between zirconium dental crowns

What is the major difference between zirconium dental crowns and porcelin crowns ? Zirconium are double the cost, are they double the value ?
Category: Dental
Expert:  replied 4 years ago.
Dear ,

The choice your husband was probably offered was between zirconia
crowns and the more conventional porcelain fused to metal crowns.

The chief benefit of zirconia crowns is an incremental advantage as regards XXXXX XXXXX appearance-- they are a bit more translucent, because they do not require a metal substructure as do the porcelain fused to metal, so the type of opaque lining used in zirconia crowns is not quite as opaque. Functionally, they are quite similar-- in fact, the porcelain fused to metal may be slightly stronger and resistant to breakage, although this small difference probably has no significance in real-world situations.

Whether the improved appearance of zirconia crowns justifies their greater cost depends on just how much value you place on cosmetics. In some applications, the difference in appearance may be difficult to see.

Keep in mind that your husband is not compelled to have all his crowns made the same way. I mention this because the improved appearance of zirconia crowns may be more of an issue on lower incisors, where the increased bulk of porcelain required to hide the opaque layer may visibly enlarge those small teeth. So, your husband might consider having his upper teeth crowned with porcelain to metal, and his lower incisors crowned with zirconia crowns. This is an arrangement I might suggest to your husband if he was a patient at my office.

Hope this helps...

Edited by Mark Bornfeld DDS on 9/29/2009 at 1:19 AM EST
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience: Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you so much ! My husband didn't know what choice to make and he called me about it. Now, I have sent your answer and he can make a more informed decision. Amazing to be able to check with you and be able to get the information to him also right away. We are both very grateful to be able to know your opinion. Thanks for doing what you do.
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld, DDS replied 4 years ago.
You're welcome. Good luck!