Mark Bornfeld, DDS
Mark Bornfeld, DDS, Dentist
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA

My fixed bridge has broken off. It spanned the eye tooth on

Customer Question

My fixed bridge has broken off. It spanned the eye tooth on the top left of my mouth. the posterior tooth has been extracted due to poor condition and not much left after breakage. The front anchor tooth (the one next to the front tooth) is sufficient to use as a post with good root and bone presence. Rather than shave down another tooth in the back to act as an anchor for a 4 tooth bridge, I am considering an implant to replace the extracted tooth with an abutment to carry a crown/false tooth for the missing eye tooth. Then simply crown the broken tooth which had previously been an anchor. Does this make sense? If I could afford two implants to carry a new bridge perhaps that would be better, but another implant seems too costly. Please advise! I am a 49 yr. old female with decent teeth otherwise...and plan on being around another 30-40 years at least.
Category: Dental
Expert:  Dr. Girish replied 7 years ago.

hello thanks for posting your question on JA
please use this chart to describe your problem, I can see a little emotion mixed in your question
lets seperate the two and get the question correctly
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks for responding. the emotion behind the question is:
#1anxiety over facing a costly bill to fix this problem; even with only 1 implant.
#2 uncertainty as to what the best solution is even though I have already chosen not to shave the posterior tooth for a 4 tooth fixed bridge.
#3 relief at feeling comfortable waiting indefinitely for the gap to be filled.
I don't see any accept button and I haven't received anything thus far to accept.

please use this chart to describe your condition